I've got a question about the kinds of clothes worn around the house.

I remember my old grandfather would always wear trousers and a collared shirt. He did that until the day he died, which was just shy of 100. I, on the other hand, seem to go about the house in either an old pair of jeans, or just my underwear. Sometimes I wear nothing at all!

This is not a question I'd have envisioned myself asking, but I notice since starting to carry a hankie, pocket knife, always wearing suits/trousers and a shirt outside and generally trying to act like a gentleman I now feel a little immature when I'm at home.

Do you think the dress standards we try to cultivate outside should be continued in the home? Was there a reason our old relatives used to wear what they wore in the house? And what do you wear, if you don't mind my asking?

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the morning, jeans and t-shirt (or sweatshirt) because I have to take the dog out for a walk right after I get out of bed. When I come home from being out, I will sometimes remove my nice shirt and pants to save them from being covered in dog hair.

My wife does the same when she comes home ... almost immediately she changes into "house clothes", again to protect against the dog.

Cheers!
Around the home, I lounge around in my jeans and casual collared shirts or t-shirts. My wardrobe and wallet are not expansive enough to accomodate lounging around in nice, expensive clothing, getting them wrinkled and possibly dirty.

Outside of the home, I usually dress to a much higher standard. I even played basketball in a suit once.
Dressing up, at least a little, helps you feel a little more classy. And if you feel it, you're more likely to act that way and have a classy image. I read a self help book that talked about dressing up at home (this one was excessive to me, said to do a suit and tie in your down time), and one point was in case someone stopped by, or you decided to go out. After all, do you want to be surprised by someone seeing you in a stained, ratty t-shirt and torn sweat pants or something?

Almost didn't answer your second part. I'm in my underwear right now. But that's because I'm about to dress for work. Often, I'll have on a polo shirt and decent jeans after hours. T-shirts if it's too hot outside, but I hate being seen in something tattered, stained and tacky.
I tend to be shirtless and, unless I'm outside, barefoot, at home. It feels relaxing. The only reason I'd wear nice clothes at home is being too lazy to change out of them.

I can imagine feeling more adult in one set of clothes or another, but it's just imagining. If it works, go for it; it wouldn't matter to me.
I tend to wear whatever it is that I've been wearing all day, which is (as Liam said) "my jeans and casual collared shirts or t-shirts." Shoes come off to keep my wife's floors clean, and I usually change into shorts in the summer.

I rarely if ever leave the bedroom/bathroom in the morning without pants or shorts on; something about not wearing pants saps my motivation for staying out of bed.
Usually I will put on jeans and continue to wear my undershirt (if after work and my whirt has sleeves). If it is the weekend, I usually just do a t-shirt and jeans, unless I am going somewhere.
I am usually barefoot, as I find socks to be confining; however, I will usually put on a clean pair of white cotton socks in the winter.
My home is my castle and I will be comfortable there. If I am done for the evening, it is some old shorts and usually a cut off tshirt. During the day on weekends if I think I might be going out, then nicer cargo shorts and a tshirt. I want to be as comfortable as possible when I am just at home, when it is time to leave, then I will put on much better clothes.
Usually jeans and a t-shirt. Lately though, I've discovered the comfort that is the white v-neck t-shirt.
My work clothes are dockers, dress shirt & tie and nice shoes. When I come home, if it's really hot I will strip down to my undies & t-shirt to cool down. Later I'll put on some shorts. In the winter, I'll change into a sweatshirt, lounge pants, socks & slippers.
You should wear whatever is most comfortable for YOU in your own home. No guests? It is your domain. Unless you're constantly the source of uninvited parties, it's all good.

For me, I'm usually found in t-shirts, jeans, or (gasp!) Under Armour shorts and shirts around my house. Sweatshirts in the winter time, as well (even out of the house, on certain occasions! but it's a good-fitting sweatshirt, nothing sloppy). All that and a relaxed smile on my face, because I love the time I get to spend at home with my wife and daughter.
We live pretty remotely surrounded by several hundred acres of woodland, during the summer we may have some neighbors around the lake but otherwise we are the only full time residents so I feel pretty comfortable in boxers and a t-shirt whether lounging around the house or outside mowing our small patch of lawn.
I'm quite surprised by the majority of the responses you've received.

I would wear a tie to work as a baker and now that I work in a public office, I wear an official uniform. When I return home from work, I change into a casual button down shirt and casual pants (or shorts for the summer) unless I am transitioning directly into a chore like stacking wood which requires work jeans and work shirt. I find myself declining the T-shirt as I find myself more of an adult and have a three year old son who will learn from me how to dress well.

Perhaps not surprisingly, my attitude has improved and I feel better about myself since attempting to change upon returning home.

I would be interested in knowing if the AoM blog has posted anything on the subject. I'd say this is an opportunity to elevate the level of style in our lives to include the home as well as our public life.

Of course, there are times when extreme casual is necessary, but I try to limit those times as much as possible.

RSS

Latest Activity

Will replied to Brandon's discussion Admiring aspects of times of oppression
"Being upset back at someone who's upset is not an effective way to feel peaceful, or powerful. This woman was upset about slavery (not, as someone said, antebellum fashions for white women, which was merely a trigger).  OP was upset…"
3 minutes ago
Josh Allen updated their profile
3 minutes ago
John Muir replied to John Muir's discussion Bulk Shopping For Staples
"Then there's no joy in your city"
7 minutes ago
Profile IconJones and Allen Winston Cook joined Jared Padgett's group
Thumbnail

Great Men

We all have our heroes, those icons of manliness that we have come across whether in person or in a history book. This is the place to talk about your favorite hero.See More
54 minutes ago
waxmo updated their profile
2 hours ago
Allen Winston Cook joined Bruce Uall's group
Thumbnail

The Shirtless Man

Shirtlessness is the essence of manliness.
2 hours ago
Allen Winston Cook left a comment for Mel Jon
"Hoping to interact some with you and the group...looking forward to it. Great chest shot! LOL"
2 hours ago
Vince replied to Vince's discussion Request advice for Gastroesophageal reflux disease
"Yes, I am in Italy. For now, I have noticed a big improvement. I'm trying to improve my food lifestyle. The most difficult thing is the workout, I feel strongly limited but I will try to find the right rhythm"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service