I'm currently at a community college with my general ed, and undergraduate units for a major in History ready to transfer to a university. But think more and more about my choice, I'm certain of my interest in the subject, but question my path after graduation. If I'll get my masters, and become a educator. Fulfilling my desire to be a mentor, and teach the subject which inspired me, or joining the corporate job market to acquire wealth and develop more skills.

What kind of person am I if I get a History Degree?

What jobs are available for a History Degree?

Am I setting myself up for success?

Views: 508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another challenge is that Arabic is not a singular, monolithic language. I picked up some basic Levantine-style Arabic but my accent and slang is Lebanese. It would be useless in Egypt and North Africa. Your best bet is to learn classical Arabic which could be used in places like Egypt and Arabian Peninsula and then pick a speciality based on your field of work: Maghrebian, Levantine, Peninsular, etc.

JC Penney and Sears hire History majors as do all of the major chain stores, including restaurants.  This is one of the degrees that is having major issues with un- and under- employment.  I would think long and hard after doing major research into job prospects as a history major.  Not that you have to work in your degree program but as a young person it is the major method of opening doors for employment prospects.  I don't work in my undergraduate field (physics) but I am working, for at least some part, in the field in which I got my Masters.

I read the comments before reading the OP. I would have thought the Op asked about what/how to get foreign language experience.

What kind of person am I if I get a History Degree? 

A person who is passionate about history.

What jobs are available for a History Degree?

All kinds but history is usually a base that should be complemented with other skills or credentials. For example, you could teach but that would require a background or credentials in education (unless you simply stay in post-secondary academia). You could write but you'd need to develop writing skills. You could probably work in a museum or research institute but you would need skills in curation or research. A lot of these are complementary skills that you might pick up throughout your journey towards your PHD in history or they might be things you'll need to get after the fact. But it's just like any other degree; a degree in accounting can make you an accountant, a degree in law can make you a lawyer but, realistically, there are loads of things that people with accounting and law degrees do beyond just being accountants and lawyers. It's all about the complementary skills and experience that they have to offer beyond their degrees and formal education. 

Am I setting myself up for success?

That depends on your definition of success. Are there millions to be made in the field of history? Run a Google search to see how many millionaire historians there are out there. It doesn't look good. But is spending your lifetime working in your field of passion a form of success even though your neighbours might make more money that you? Certainly, if that's how you define success. 

Thanks for you feedback

RSS

Latest Activity

Brody Albers replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"I prefer the ESV. I am a theology student and so the "essentially-literal" translation is useful to me since the Bible is the bulk of my research material. For my own personal devotions though I have enjoyed using both the NIV and NLT. As…"
3 hours ago
Brody Albers replied to Kevin's discussion Will someone please explain Jesus to me? in the group Christian Men
"There are many, many theories about what you are asking. Simply put, your question boils down to the purpose of the atonement, or "why did Jesus have to die?". I wrote a brief (2 page) essay on the subject for a theology class which was…"
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"LOLOLOLOL I really shouldn't know what that is."
3 hours ago
Brody Albers joined Tookie's group
Thumbnail

Christian Men

Regardless of the specifics, we can all agree on one thing. Jesus Christ was the perfect Man who died and rose again for us such that we could have fellowship with Him
3 hours ago
Will commented on Leto Atreides II's status
"I posted about it even on his status thread.  That's how I found out he was moderating comments.  I suspect no comments will make it through moderation."
4 hours ago
Leto Atreides II posted a status
"Comments are closed... Comment by John White no comments about the dating scene? Hard to comment when you close comments, Dumbass."
4 hours ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Perfect. Dead on."
4 hours ago
Will replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"I'm not sure I full understand the questions here, but if I do, here are a couple of answers: The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.  Rom 14:17 and Signs and wonders shall follow after those…"
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service