Anyone have any studying/note taking/listening tips for school (higher education)? I am feeling completely unmotivated right now and some of the information my teachers are talking about just isn't processing in my head whatsoever (in one ear, out the other). That, on top of just not seeming to care about my grades anymore, is really discouraging to me, I feel extremely tired/lazy all of the time. I do also work about 20 hours a week while in school, but that is mostly on the weekends so it doesn't really get in the way of school work. 

I will admit I did not apply myself while in high school that well, but honestly who did? It wasn't necessary to get good grades. But when I was younger I used to get upset by making any "B" on any kind of assignment. Now, I can fail quizzes in class and just not give two sh!ts. I half ass my homework a lot of the time, and don't ever study. While I am enjoying the material in a couple of my classes, I am just not feeling it anymore. Granted that the last year of high school was not very challenging for me because I took all of my difficult classes freshman-junior year, and the community college I attended barely even got my feet wet (Once again, it was not necessary to really study to get good grades). 

I am not placing the blame on anybody else, I realize it was partially my fault for not really applying myself 100% earlier on when I should have. But then again, the education in my area is a little sub-par. 

What I am asking from you guys, is what worked for you in school? How did you spend your time outside of class studying? And is there a way to get better at a subject that you have honestly ZERO interest in (my calculus class, I took the first part of this class a long time ago, and this semester I was forced into the second part).

Thank you for your time as always.

Views: 802

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel like my grades are going to slip this semester because of this, but thanks for the advice. I just need to change my life and my habits I believe. But thank you for the encouragement. It just seems like everybody else is so in tune with school and with me it's just sort of in one ear and out the other, and then going home to sleep and not study. 

Update: I am thinking towards blowing this up and taking this semester off. I am still struggling. Still depressed, told my parents that I am depressed and have been for about three years, they didn't offer any advice and didn't even respond really. I don't think any 19 year old kid should be driving 2.5 hours a day to school  5 days a week and working 25 hours a week trying to afford gas (leads to concentration issues and hard to figure out what is more important). I need to lose weight and figure out my goals and ambitions (would definitely help with the depression). That would be healthier to me than destroying my GPA and having to retake these classes at a later time. If I withdraw that is all thats on my transcript. A "w" if you will, which is a hell of a lot better than a F. 

Maybe if I do decide to take this time off, I can finally focus on changing my life. The main drawback is is following through with this plan if I do take the time off.

I'm not sure exactly how this speaks to me at the moment regarding my situation, but thank you.

First of all I would maybe think about if you really chose the right subject. You say you have absolutely zero interest in the subject so why do you study it then?

What I always do to learn is that I record my own voice reading the stuff I have to learn and then afterwards listening to it with my headphones. That works great for me because I am a very auditive person. Maybe this is the right thing for you. 

What? Read the posts. I took multiple subjects I may be interested in. Calculus is a class I should have to take regardless.
I know often programs require courses most students don't enjoy. A Lot of engineering students gripe about humanity courses, how they aren't trying to be a history major etc.
I would advise against taking the semester off, it turns into two, then next year I'll get going again. on the mean time bills start popping up, not enough money for books, didn't get registered in time, have a kid or one on the way.....dont mess with it just keep chipping away.

I have been not only a student in university, but also a professor. In most schools at which I've taught (which have ranged from community colleges to "prestigious" universities), as long as you pay your tuition and give the slightest appearance of effort, most professors I've known will let you slide.

Ironically, I felt the same way you did about college. It's not depression. It's just that the actual course material is probably not terribly relevant to your life or future career. It's easy to be bored. It's also easy to think it's all a waste of time (it probably is). However, this is what helped me get through it all:

1) College isn't an "experience", it's a job. Show up, grind through the work, get the degree that will help you get a "better job" than being a college student.

2) Extracurriculars. Get involved in student organizations and social activities in the college scene. Having this outlet makes the rest more tolerable. I was involved in a couple diversity organizations, had a college band, and was even conscripted into the Vietnamese Graduate Student Organzation at one of my grad schools (I'm not Vietnamese, but I'm good with money so my VN friends wanted me to be treasurer). Also, this stuff looks great on your resume. Well, maybe not the college band...

3) Networking and internships. As previously stated, most of your coursework is a waste of time. However, being in college gives you the opportunity to network with professionals in your desired field (usually via internships), which is almost essential in today's economy. Find a place that will let you intern and take as many intern credits in the place of classroom credits as you possibly can. Some departments also have "independent studies" you can take. if you're creative enough and your advisor is cool enough, you can use these as additional internship credits.

In any event, this is what worked for me. Best of luck.

What did you major in and teach? I am having a meeting with career services Friday to see if they can point me in the right direction.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"I'd deserve to be beaten bloody for calling it a 'handout'.  Good grief.  Union gun thugs still running things in your neck of the woods?  I've taken unemployment before.  It's a handout. …"
6 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Stephen Jashub Comstock's discussion Pajama recommendations.
"It's nice for what it is but I doubt I'd ever get one; they just fancy bath robes. "
12 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"Handouts is the bullshit term. If you pay taxes and pay into an unemployment insurance system, and your employer does as well, you're receiving a "Benefit" of that insurance.  You'd get your ass kicked around here if you…"
13 minutes ago
John Muir replied to John Muir's discussion The End of Quantitative Easing As We Know It in the group The Great Debate
"Nah. The shutdown in the fall of 95 was like 21 days, there weren't any shutdowns before 1976, and only a handful between 1976 and 1995 - all for just a few days. I stand by the shut-down during the Clinton Administration being the first major…"
17 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"Taking short-term handouts ('benefits' is such a bullshit term) isn't entitlement.  By 'entitled', I mean habitual welfare recipients, unemployment recipients, unnecessary disability recipients, etc. JB"
19 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Voter Fraud or "Calibration Error"? in the group The Great Debate
"Nobody puts Pebbles in a jar. - Johnny "BamBam" Castle "
21 minutes ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"Even King has been shouted down by people using his name."
21 minutes ago
John Muir replied to John Muir's discussion The End of Quantitative Easing As We Know It in the group The Great Debate
"See, when you say crap like that you sound like Ann Coulter"
24 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service