Hello fellas. I am the father of three great sons. At this moment I am having issues with my 13yo. He has been the typical rebellious 13yo up until lately. He has gone past the point of no return. I am now Drill Sergeant Dad. I am holding to a higher standard than before and d8scpline is in the form of PT. That is the background gere is my issue. I have tried to show all my hoys what makes a man a man. However with my PTSD and Depression I have not always been the standard bearer that should be.
I am looking for advice for books and other examples of what makes a man a man. I own both books Manovationals and The Art of Manliness. Looking for some other ideas. Thanks guys.

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There absolutely needs to be some consequence for punching his brother. then again, it isn't the end of the world. Brothers do that sort of crap sometimes. What seems to be missing is knowing what set him off. "Nothing," isn't the answer, unless he is just a cruel guy to begin with, and that is a totally different topic.

As for moving forward, be the same consistent fellow you have always been. To kids, up to about 17 years, parental consistency is the foundation of security and safety in their world. And to them nothing says, "I love you" as loudly as rules, reasonable punishments, and the parental effort to follow through.

There is no light switch transition between boy and man. So he took a few steps back. Eh! Point it out, let him know you expect better, and start over (isn't so much of parenting starting over, and over, and over again with our kids till they get it?).

Probably one of the hardest things for parents is to tell their children they love them, without condoning their behavior all the time.

"I will love you even when you act like a jack-ass," is a great affirmation! 

A little different from the DS, approach maybe, but I've found it's very easy to lay that on young boys, (this idea of being a man) which is probably stressful. Stressful for us dads, since they will inevitably fall short and stressful for them since they are just kids. I would make sure that I was doing more "passive teaching", being available for him/them for them to express themselves without fear of punishment etc. 

I have three kids myself, though only one boy. I'd highly recommend these books, the second I am just making my way through now.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Kids-Will-Listen-ebook/dp/B005GG0MXI...

http://www.amazon.com/Peaceful-Parent-Happy-Kids-Connecting-ebook/d...

RSS

Latest Activity

Andrew replied to Upside down bloke's discussion Nature of relationships
"You could just as well, fall and impale yourself on the handle of the utensils..."
3 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Jeremy's discussion new to the group. in the group Velo Men
" Maybe where you live.  Welcome to California.  Where the state bike equipment laws are rarely, if ever, enforced.  The rules have been in the Vehicle Code since before World War I, but you'd never know it from the number of…"
35 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Regular Joe's discussion Post Some Cool Flags
"That reminds me of Saddam's victory arch: "
41 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Regular Joe's discussion Woman is thrown out of Paris opera after cast refused to perform unless she removed Muslim veil in the group The Great Debate
"Do we even have opera over here?"
41 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Titus Techera's discussion ...after Texas Red in the group The Great Debate
"What the shit is she babbling on about? Honestly, I can understand throwing a sacrificial lamb up if Perry was running again, but an open election with no incumbent and this is the best the Dems have?"
43 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Will's discussion The red pill
""this is how I see relationships- Both men and women need to contribute, it can not be only one person." I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement.  But The Red Pill doesn't appear to be a resource center to…"
44 minutes ago
Upside down bloke commented on Will's group New Warriors
"I think the ironic thing is that at the end of the day physicality and power held sway, rather than compassion and understanding.  It made me realise that like any organisation it was only as good as it's leaders, as people are look up to…"
1 hour ago
Will commented on Will's group New Warriors
"We do have that problem, that people are loyal to persons rather than to principles, at times, and I had an awful experience of public humiliation I won't go into here, in my community.  But not in my I-group.  I made a complaint…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service