Thanks for having me. I make clocks, incense burners, lamps, and whatever else comes to mind. I enjoy fixing broke stuff, and don't mind lending a hand to those in need. I look forward to discussions and learning genuinely useful things.

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Daniel.  It's very nice to meet you!

A clockmaker!  One of my favorite topics.  I've studied and even attempted gear hobbing, and even clockmaking.  I just love clockwork mechanisms, but I always fail when making the escapement.  It seems to require more precision than I can muster.

Any hints for someone who has yet to bring one to life?

Angle and spacing on escapement teeth is critical. if they are off it will run away or not move. Which do they usually do?

It never moves.  I know this can be an issue of depth, or or angle, or of friction as well.

Say, you don't have a drawing for a grasshopper, do you?  I have the design PDF, but without a practical model it's all theory.

grasshopper is pretty complex. I have messed with deadbeat escapements. the teeth on the escapement are cut at two different angles, the deeper ones to hold the gear and the outer one is cut for " impulse" to keep the pendulum going.

I've tried basic deadbeat, and even recoil escapements.  Graham is a "simple" one.  But I never seem to end up with a successful escapement.

The grasshopper is of particular interest to me, because my interest lies in woodworks.  Very beautiful, but very high friction, which is not a weakness of the grasshopper.  Harrison was a genius.

Wouldn't mind a Grimthorpe gravity escapement, either...or a MacDowall single pin, but talk about something that's *deceptively* simple looking.  Wow,

I dont think the actual design is the problem, build one and adjust the tooth angle a tiny tiny bit at a time.

If it has a pendulum make sure it is heavy enough.

RSS

Latest Activity

Sean O' commented on Steven C.'s group Exercise
"Hey Ryan. I have visited Jakarta a few times and really enjoyed it. I am living a bit north of you in the Philippines now. I am not familiar with your program, but let us know how its working for you and look forward to hearing your input."
1 hour ago
Jaya Jagannath replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"your all comments are useless because i didn't seen anything verifiable or tangible which is supported by solid or strong basics. all that i have seen is bogus opinions and nonsense personal experience. for which who cares ?"
1 hour ago
Paul commented on Adam Parker's photo
Thumbnail

Puerto Rico

"That's rad, man."
1 hour ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"Just thought I'd go ahead and cover the first 12 pages of comments... http://community.artofmanliness.com/forum/topics/here-is-practical-explanation-about-next-life-purpose-of-human Not including the idiots that left becuase they took this…"
2 hours ago
Paul replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"Jesus H. Fuck"
2 hours ago
Ryan Kiefer commented on Chad's group Interpreters and Translators
"Hey guys. I just joined the group, but I'm not a translator or interpreter. I'm currently an English teacher in Indonesia and am interested in becoming a translator. I speak Spanish and a very little bit of Bahasa Indonesia. "
2 hours ago
Ryan Kiefer joined Chad's group
Thumbnail

Interpreters and Translators

Do you work in the field of translation or interpretation?This group is a place to discuss and debate the ever changing field.See More
2 hours ago
Ryan Kiefer commented on Steven C.'s group Exercise
"Hey everyone. I've been coming to AoM for awhile and just started looking at the groups. I'm from Ohio, but live in Jakarta, Indonesia right now. I started Kris Gethin's 12 week workout program about 4 weeks ago and thought I'd…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service