Thanks for having me. I make clocks, incense burners, lamps, and whatever else comes to mind. I enjoy fixing broke stuff, and don't mind lending a hand to those in need. I look forward to discussions and learning genuinely useful things.

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Daniel.  It's very nice to meet you!

A clockmaker!  One of my favorite topics.  I've studied and even attempted gear hobbing, and even clockmaking.  I just love clockwork mechanisms, but I always fail when making the escapement.  It seems to require more precision than I can muster.

Any hints for someone who has yet to bring one to life?

Angle and spacing on escapement teeth is critical. if they are off it will run away or not move. Which do they usually do?

It never moves.  I know this can be an issue of depth, or or angle, or of friction as well.

Say, you don't have a drawing for a grasshopper, do you?  I have the design PDF, but without a practical model it's all theory.

grasshopper is pretty complex. I have messed with deadbeat escapements. the teeth on the escapement are cut at two different angles, the deeper ones to hold the gear and the outer one is cut for " impulse" to keep the pendulum going.

I've tried basic deadbeat, and even recoil escapements.  Graham is a "simple" one.  But I never seem to end up with a successful escapement.

The grasshopper is of particular interest to me, because my interest lies in woodworks.  Very beautiful, but very high friction, which is not a weakness of the grasshopper.  Harrison was a genius.

Wouldn't mind a Grimthorpe gravity escapement, either...or a MacDowall single pin, but talk about something that's *deceptively* simple looking.  Wow,

I dont think the actual design is the problem, build one and adjust the tooth angle a tiny tiny bit at a time.

If it has a pendulum make sure it is heavy enough.

RSS

Latest Activity

David R. replied to Persona non Grata's discussion What's the worst evil one can commit? in the group The Great Debate
"I agree."
10 minutes ago
Brett Cranston replied to Braeden P.D.'s discussion Unpopular Opinions Thread
"The majority of women's sports are not exciting. "
24 minutes ago
John Landes replied to Persona non Grata's discussion Men who whine about women?
"I wonder if it can be torn down to the facts of insecurities?  Is it possible that these whiners have not concluded that their women don't necessarily need them as much as the whiners need them?  That would put them in a tight spot of…"
32 minutes ago
george morgan replied to Braeden P.D.'s discussion Unpopular Opinions Thread
""....most people on this website don't have any interest in what Brett says. Brett's a conservative Mormon..." I have found Brett's articles and opinions to be terrific; in a society that is increasingly ditching ethics and…"
1 hour ago
Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion Brexit in the group The Great Debate
"A reason not to let an independent Scotland in:  an accounts deficit greater than that of Greece. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/651319/Scotland-Europe-financial-deficit-SNP"
7 hours ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Brexit in the group The Great Debate
"This is your full quote: For a local example of how racist attitudes drove the Leave vote, AOM's own Joker/Chistoso is absolutely jumping for joy that the Leave side prevailed. There is a vast difference in implications from what you wrote…"
9 hours ago
Milo Morris replied to Pale Horse's discussion Brexit in the group The Great Debate
""there are actually official campaign groups for the referendum, and Nigel Farage was in fact the founding member of one of them, Grassroots Out. This would seem to make him, in fact, an official Leave leader." Maybe the next time…"
9 hours ago
Dominic replied to Pale Horse's discussion Brexit in the group The Great Debate
"I pointed to one example of how one could see racist attitudes motivating a Leave vote."
9 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service