Thanks for having me. I make clocks, incense burners, lamps, and whatever else comes to mind. I enjoy fixing broke stuff, and don't mind lending a hand to those in need. I look forward to discussions and learning genuinely useful things.

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Daniel.  It's very nice to meet you!

A clockmaker!  One of my favorite topics.  I've studied and even attempted gear hobbing, and even clockmaking.  I just love clockwork mechanisms, but I always fail when making the escapement.  It seems to require more precision than I can muster.

Any hints for someone who has yet to bring one to life?

Angle and spacing on escapement teeth is critical. if they are off it will run away or not move. Which do they usually do?

It never moves.  I know this can be an issue of depth, or or angle, or of friction as well.

Say, you don't have a drawing for a grasshopper, do you?  I have the design PDF, but without a practical model it's all theory.

grasshopper is pretty complex. I have messed with deadbeat escapements. the teeth on the escapement are cut at two different angles, the deeper ones to hold the gear and the outer one is cut for " impulse" to keep the pendulum going.

I've tried basic deadbeat, and even recoil escapements.  Graham is a "simple" one.  But I never seem to end up with a successful escapement.

The grasshopper is of particular interest to me, because my interest lies in woodworks.  Very beautiful, but very high friction, which is not a weakness of the grasshopper.  Harrison was a genius.

Wouldn't mind a Grimthorpe gravity escapement, either...or a MacDowall single pin, but talk about something that's *deceptively* simple looking.  Wow,

I dont think the actual design is the problem, build one and adjust the tooth angle a tiny tiny bit at a time.

If it has a pendulum make sure it is heavy enough.

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion Attractions to other Cultures and Revulsion towards other Cultures
"We also caught them shooting their kids in the back of the head to gain access to our bases."
18 minutes ago
Portnoy replied to Sir's discussion Polarization, "violent rhetoric" in the group The Great Debate
"I've been that guy once. It didn't even hit me that there was a storm coming and I went just to get some beer. Couldn't believe the madhouse and how the bread and water aisles were empty."
37 minutes ago
Lumberjoe replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion Attractions to other Cultures and Revulsion towards other Cultures
"What the fuck?"
46 minutes ago
Lumberjoe replied to Sir's discussion Polarization, "violent rhetoric" in the group The Great Debate
"Different realities up here. If the power goes out during the summer, we're not too worried. If the power goes out during the winter, we might die. Food can just go outside and freeze solid and therefore keep. For water, we can just bring snow…"
47 minutes ago
Sir replied to Sir's discussion Polarization, "violent rhetoric" in the group The Great Debate
"Milk and bread:  every time it snows, I hear something along the lines of which makes me think (but not say) 1.  You were there too, so if it's stupid to be there the day before a snowstorm... 2.  Weather report tells us…"
48 minutes ago
Shane replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion Attractions to other Cultures and Revulsion towards other Cultures
"As in, when their little kids misbehave, they take their feet and hold them in the fire."
50 minutes ago
Sir replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion Attractions to other Cultures and Revulsion towards other Cultures
"I'd totally try the first."
56 minutes ago
Sir replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion Attractions to other Cultures and Revulsion towards other Cultures
"Don't experiment.  Don't learn things that aren't in school.  Don't try new things."
57 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service