Thanks for having me. I make clocks, incense burners, lamps, and whatever else comes to mind. I enjoy fixing broke stuff, and don't mind lending a hand to those in need. I look forward to discussions and learning genuinely useful things.

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Daniel.  It's very nice to meet you!

A clockmaker!  One of my favorite topics.  I've studied and even attempted gear hobbing, and even clockmaking.  I just love clockwork mechanisms, but I always fail when making the escapement.  It seems to require more precision than I can muster.

Any hints for someone who has yet to bring one to life?

Angle and spacing on escapement teeth is critical. if they are off it will run away or not move. Which do they usually do?

It never moves.  I know this can be an issue of depth, or or angle, or of friction as well.

Say, you don't have a drawing for a grasshopper, do you?  I have the design PDF, but without a practical model it's all theory.

grasshopper is pretty complex. I have messed with deadbeat escapements. the teeth on the escapement are cut at two different angles, the deeper ones to hold the gear and the outer one is cut for " impulse" to keep the pendulum going.

I've tried basic deadbeat, and even recoil escapements.  Graham is a "simple" one.  But I never seem to end up with a successful escapement.

The grasshopper is of particular interest to me, because my interest lies in woodworks.  Very beautiful, but very high friction, which is not a weakness of the grasshopper.  Harrison was a genius.

Wouldn't mind a Grimthorpe gravity escapement, either...or a MacDowall single pin, but talk about something that's *deceptively* simple looking.  Wow,

I dont think the actual design is the problem, build one and adjust the tooth angle a tiny tiny bit at a time.

If it has a pendulum make sure it is heavy enough.

RSS

Latest Activity

Will replied to James Sullivan's discussion Strange sexual dreams?
"My thought exactly.  Except that if thoughts mean nothing, that one does too... ...still, I think we can get what Rick was saying."
2 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Bryon Perona's discussion The Masculinity of Jesus in the group Christian Men
"What was the purpose of the sermon?  I guess I've never really been concerned about the degree of Jesus' masculinity. And I've never gotten the impression from reading the Bible that, in terms of masculinity, Jesus was anything…"
4 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"Titus, you really don't know anything about unemployment in the US and how it works, do you? "
4 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to James Sullivan's discussion Strange sexual dreams?
"Thoughts mean nothing? "
14 minutes ago
"I'd be interested in learning more. My wife was into it when she was a kid. I've had a ton of recurring dreams throughout my life and I'm interested in how Jung uses myth / symbols / alchemy as a parallel for psychology and the human…"
14 minutes ago
""I had one of those once, and eventually did tell my wife as the subject was a good friend of hers." "
16 minutes ago
"As Frank Underwood says: "Everything is about sex. Except sex. Sex is about power.""
17 minutes ago
"No. Never ever ever more. I hate those things. Made me crazy. Turns out I was taking the same ones that made the (disbanded) Canadian Airborne Regiment crazy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalia_Affair"
18 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service