Thanks for having me. I make clocks, incense burners, lamps, and whatever else comes to mind. I enjoy fixing broke stuff, and don't mind lending a hand to those in need. I look forward to discussions and learning genuinely useful things.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Daniel.  It's very nice to meet you!

A clockmaker!  One of my favorite topics.  I've studied and even attempted gear hobbing, and even clockmaking.  I just love clockwork mechanisms, but I always fail when making the escapement.  It seems to require more precision than I can muster.

Any hints for someone who has yet to bring one to life?

Angle and spacing on escapement teeth is critical. if they are off it will run away or not move. Which do they usually do?

It never moves.  I know this can be an issue of depth, or or angle, or of friction as well.

Say, you don't have a drawing for a grasshopper, do you?  I have the design PDF, but without a practical model it's all theory.

grasshopper is pretty complex. I have messed with deadbeat escapements. the teeth on the escapement are cut at two different angles, the deeper ones to hold the gear and the outer one is cut for " impulse" to keep the pendulum going.

I've tried basic deadbeat, and even recoil escapements.  Graham is a "simple" one.  But I never seem to end up with a successful escapement.

The grasshopper is of particular interest to me, because my interest lies in woodworks.  Very beautiful, but very high friction, which is not a weakness of the grasshopper.  Harrison was a genius.

Wouldn't mind a Grimthorpe gravity escapement, either...or a MacDowall single pin, but talk about something that's *deceptively* simple looking.  Wow,

I dont think the actual design is the problem, build one and adjust the tooth angle a tiny tiny bit at a time.

If it has a pendulum make sure it is heavy enough.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jay D joined thehuhman's group
Thumbnail

Men Over 50

For the slightly older guys. (those who've already received the letter from AARP!) Let's just see how many of us are proud to have made it this far!See More
11 minutes ago
Matt195 updated their profile
15 minutes ago
Josh Allen posted a photo
16 minutes ago
Josh Allen replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Ok you tell me the levels of interaction with a video game and a movie if you feel the need to compare."
17 minutes ago
David Tindell commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
" Four days after hitting 58, I participated in my first TRX class in several months. Taught by a fit and very attractive young blonde gal (with my wife in attendance I keep eyes front), I made it through and will come back for more."
28 minutes ago
Jay D replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"I fail to see what everyone else sees in Mad Man. Tryed two times to get into the series but got tyred of it pretty fast."
57 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Remove the "r" and you've got a private club composed of wealthy establishment types.  Then again, there are the Oddfellows, supposedly started by guys who were too "odd" to make the cut as Masons, Elks, Moose, or even…"
1 hour ago
Nick H replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service