Besides the self-explanatory title, the shirt is a white cotton dress shirt I was going to wear for my first day at the office.
I don't know how it got there but the mould had been on my shirt for I think a month before I noticed and I just went to have it dry-cleaned - but they say they don't know how to remove it.
It's light, bit of an orange/brown tint. Any suggestions?
Mold? WTF? You don't mean ring around the collar, do you? Cause Googling that will get you loads of ways to get rid of it. But actual mold? And the cleaners can't get it out? I'd get rid of that shirt and I'd do a thorough inspection of my closet walls and its contents to make sure there isn't a bigger problem at hand.
You might try a specialty dry-cleaner on line, but you may find it costs more then buying a new shirt depending on its price point.
Or bleach, bleach kills pretty much anything
Yeah about that. A friend of mine tried to get stains out of white socks he had. He ended up ruining the socks because he had used too much bleach and left the sock in too long... They fell apart when he pulled them out of the solution.
I would purchase a new white shirt.
Those socks sound like they had similar stains to a pair of gym socks sported by a high school classmate. He never washed them, and left them in his gym locker over the winter break. The bottom came off one sock the first time he "dressed out" for PE in January.
Spend the $50.00 for a new shirt, my friend. After you've wiped down your closet with a mild bleach solution.
This is what you should try:
1) Go get some Oxy Clean2) Fill your sink with hot water, as hot as you can bear.
3) add one measure of oxy clean to the water.
4) soak the shirt for at least 12 hrs.
5) launder on a gentle cycle
6) steam or press the shirt
7) have a fantastic first day.
Dry cleaning is nice, but for cotton dress shirts its usually overkill.
I've read Oxy Clean is basically peroxide and dish soap. I've had success with peroxide and blood stains; never found the dish soap really helped. "Peroxide" here is liquid hydrogen peroxide, dissolved in water to about a 1% solution - $1-2 at any drug store. Never found it hurt any clothing, either.
OP, I'd use bleach. You can dab it on the stain with a sponge, or soak the shirt in a solution. Honestly, I'd put the shirt in a pot ('cause I don't have a basin and filling the sink is a pain), mostly fill it with water, then add bleach until I noticed the water level go up (no precise 1:10 measuring for me). Agitate it to dissolve the bleach better. Bleach works pretty fast, so no need to let it sit long.