Good evening, gentlemen. 

I'm 18 years old, 5'10'' and 145 lbs. I've always been committed to diet and excercise, and, as a result, I am what most people would call "ripped". Which is cool. 

Now, though, I'd like to try to get big. Like, Chris Hemsworth "Thor" big. Maybe I'm just not hitting the weights hard enough, but it seems like my metabolism vaporizes everything I swallow, so putting on more muscle has thus far been very difficult. But I'm determined to keep trying. 

I'd be grateful for any advice, specific or general, on how to get those massive muscles. If you think it's simply not do-able, then that's cool, too.  

Thanks dudes! 

Tags: muscle building, weight lifting

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've read that protein is the building block for muscle, and that's why protein supplements are so popular for bodybuilders.  And, of course, tremendous focus and dedication.

Good luck on your journey.  In fact, please keep a bit of a journal, to help inspire those of us who are flabby weaklings.

The other thing to keep in mind, Chris Hemsworth, the guys in 300, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, all of them have people whom they pay to make them look like that.  And, they're actors, other than being on the set, they really have no other job requirements.  They can devote days to their workout regimen.  Further, since they are actors, their bodies are used to the fluctuations they put them through. Look at Michael Keaton from Mr. Mom to Batman.

Getting big is a worthwhile goal, but don't expect to look like Leonidas.

Well if you want to get 'Thor' big;

http://www.mensfitness.co.uk/exercise/celebrity_bodies/6766/officia...

I didn't read that entire article so I don't know if it addresses his diet, but I know from an interview he stated that he basically had to force feed himself to get to that weight. And most of the force feeding revolved around protein.

Eat, eat, eat some more. That guy complained he had to eat so much.
You won't be as ripped as you are, but you can always cut a bit after you put on size.
I hear a 5000 calorie a day intake is not unusual.
Why, that reminds me I am trying to do the same thing, I think I'll eat something right now.

Great tips, all.    

I'll do my best, and hopefully by college I'll be mountain-sized. 

Gallon of whole milk daily.  2500 calories for around $3.
I second this. It's tough at first, but it worked wonders for me.

Another thing I do is stretch the muscle being worked after my final set. Stretching a pumped muscle is painful, but crucial in stretching the fascia out to accommodate the hypertrophy you want to happen during your recovery. If the fascia is not stretched the muscle has nowhere to go.

Make sure you hit it immediately after your set and hold the stretch for 30 seconds.

I'm sure it must help...I've almost grown out of summer shirts I've bought a year ago, and I'm in my late forties.

At your age...stand back!

Look up an individual by the name of Dr. John Berardi, he is a well respected individual in the fitness and nutrition field, read his articles to get a better understanding on nutrition, exercise, and how the body responds to nutrition after exercise.  I used the information I gleaned from him to recover after a period of over training that resulted in the loss of almost 20 lbs of body mass.  

The post about about those individuals spending money is right, but you can do it yourself, or with some assistance from someone else.  If you really want to get big, and you are serious about it, then spending a little cash shouldn't deter you.  That is exactly what I am doing now, my ultimate goal is to be 20 pounds heavier than I am now but maintain my body fat percentage.

Heres some free advice I can tell you from personal experience.

1) lift hard, you need to work the muscles to get big.  And by hard I don't necessarily mean super heavy.  Yes you want the weight to be heavy, but not so heavy you cannot do it in proper form.  If the weight is too heavy for you then you will ultimately just sabotage yourself in the long run.

2) Consume alot of calories, if you aren't growing bigger, then you simply are not getting enough calories in you.  Don't listen to the b.s about "I eat so much but I don't grow at all."  What that means is they "think" they eat a lot but they don't.  If you are a hard gainer, like me, then you need to realize that you need to eat nutritionally and caloric dense foods.  Google "John Berardi+Super Shake" it will give you the idea.  Currently I am drinking three of these a day along with my 3 squares.

3) Find someone you trust and follow them.  For me that is Dr. Berardi, that's why I mentioned him so much.  There is a lot of information out there, a lot of it contradicts each other, and ultimately you will be much more successful if you find someone you trust and ignore most everything else.  If you don't you risk information overload.

4) Full body compound exercises.  Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, Barbell rows.  These exercises will add mass to your frame if you do them properly.  Not to mention boosting your testosterone.

5) It takes time, diligence, and commitment.  Short cuts result in you either over training or simply adding fat rather than muscle. You will not become a hulking behemoths in a few months.  Even adding 5 pounds of lean muscle in the span of a few months should be taken as a mark of pride.  Thats 5 12 oz steaks you added to your body and it will make a big difference.

Stay ripped, it's far healthier in the long run.  Muscle turns to fat.  You will not always be 18, and if anything should happen that impedes your ability to work out, you may be looking at a lifetime of unintended health issues. 

At your age I was 6'1, 155, and totally ripped.  I'm now 63, 6'1, and because of a serious back injury two years ago I now weight 185-- heaviest I've ever been.  I can't imagine how fat I'd be if at 21 I'd been built like Chris Hemsworth... or if with that much muscle mass I'd injured by back when I was 26.

I call B.S. muscle and fat are two totally different tissue types and there is no scientific proof that proves that muscle turns into fat.

I'll second that.

That's pretty much what I do, and I still surprising those who have not seen me in awhile.

I work with a twentysomething guy looking to do the same thing, but he won't listen to me....not eating enough and doing only the "glamor" parts exercises. I've blown past him in weight gain, and I am old enough to be his father.

RSS

Latest Activity

Will commented on John White's blog post needing a change
"A few years back my college roommate committed suicide.  (His mother called me.)  As I drove home that day, I saw the sun on the trees, and the blue sky, and thought:  you idiot!  You're _missing_ it! He was bipolar.…"
5 minutes ago
Adam joined A.C.'s group
Thumbnail

Musicians

A group for Musicians to discuss musicianship and share experiences.
7 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to John Mertz's discussion "Pet" Names
"Tits McGee. JB"
13 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"Titus, when are you finally going to come to America? You talk so much about people having to learn this or that to be taken seriously. At some point, for many of us to take you seriously as someone who claims that they understand America, you are…"
14 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"Funny, I have always thought of the conservative as the coward. Their entire philosophy is built on the premise of not trying to do something new, to staying with the old. The very word, conservative is to take the easy way, to not challenge or push…"
38 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Kneller's discussion Shoes for a night out
"I'll second this one. Been in boots since the mid-90's. First it was Justin Ropers, then I did the Wolverine work boots for years(after doing construction then working in a factory), quality went down so I went back to the Justin roper…"
42 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"I've heard screeds about some phantom "War on Women", but never from a liberal - just from conservatives yelling there's a boogeyman. I shop at Hobby Lobby and live in the belt buckle of the bible belt. Have you ever been to one,…"
47 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Kneller's discussion Shoes for a night out
"You might have to go custom"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service