Hey, guys.

I'm 25, got stationed out in Vegas not too long ago and looking for a new hobby. I've been considering fishing, but don't know too much.My dad took me a few times when I was younger, but that's about it. Anyone know good book, podcast series, or pretty much anything that would cover the basics of fishing? Anything from what I would need to know, to equipment, and even keeping and eating the fish? Any input is appreciated. Thank you guy so much for your time and help.

Andrew

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are many Youtube videos on fishing techniques with different lure types, i.e. worms, crankbaits, jerkbaits, etc.  I would suggest watching the videos made by independent people opposed to the videos made by brand name fishing equipment.  The brand name will give you why you should be using their stuff, opposed to actually showing you something useful.  However, the name brand vids, such as Rapala, will show you the action of different lures.  It would be best to start with the basics, especially with what equipment you plan to own, and what fish you plan to catch.  I have never fished Nevada, so I have no idea where you plan on fishing, or what you aim to catch.  I am a catch and release guy, so I don't have any suggestions on keeping, cleaning, or cooking fish.

I live in the Land of 10,000 lakes and grew up here fishing a number of them.  Unfortunately, geography and the type of fish you're looking to catch plays a large role into how to fish.  I don't have any experience in Nevada, so I can't help a ton.  Honestly, what may be the best way to go about doing this is hiring a fishing guide for a day on the lake you want to fish.  It'll be a little pricey, but he/she will know how to fish that lake well.  After that you should have an idea and a handful of tips and tricks.

Tony

Thanks, guys. I was able to find the 2017 Nevada fishing regulations which steered me in the right direction to start researching. 

Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks, John! I'm also finding some good YouTube videos.
Whenever I fish a bee area I always go to the local tackle shop and talk to the owner. Spend some money in his store and he will be happy to hook you up with what works in his neck of the woods and point you to where the fish are.
Bill is right... I've been fishing all of my life. The local bait shop is where you get the best advice, coldest beer and the best lies.
If your looking for outdoors adventure. I've heard there's decent wing shooting in Nevada. Might be worth looking into. Some of the best time you can have involve good dogs and a fine shotgun.

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"Daggumit, Shane, read Dune."
12 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Or better yet, think of the people who unironically have waifus!"
14 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Wow, congratulations. My goal is just to have a more healthful diet. I am not overweight, but I do have a family history of diabetes, and I know eventually when I'm older that eating junk food will have greater consequences. Thanks for the…"
15 minutes ago
"Good point on changing the mindset. I think most of us have an "I shouldn't" frame of mind rather than an "I don't" frame of mind, at least when it comes to vices. I'm not sure I want to watch one of those…"
18 minutes ago
"Same here, an ice cold coke is one of the best things on earth. Mexican coke is more expensive here too, so maybe if I only drink that I'll cut down out of monetary necessity!"
22 minutes ago
Braeden replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"If Shane and Clinton have united against you, its time to stop and think about your life."
25 minutes ago
Sir replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"It's always possible to put spin on.  Doesn't mean much, though."
26 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"You completely missed the point..."
30 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service