Howdy everyone, this is my first post on here and I was looking for some insight. Are any of you firearms instructors or know of anyone who is one as a career? I did some serious thinking about where my life is heading last night and I was trying to think of something I could honestly do the rest of my life and love going to work everyday. My father instilled a great respect and love for firearms at a very young age and I'd like to continue that passion. So what careers involve firearms, and specifically what is the exact route to becoming a firearms instructor as a career?

Views: 1359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So does selling wedding cakes

I see what you did there....

Second suggest aside,  John Muir makes my point exactly.  He suggests owning and operating an indoor range...which would make firearms instruction part of the job, but not the whole job.

I hadn't ever considered a range. We have a few around here but they are all outdoor ranges that can only be used for about 5 months at a time. Upstate New York has some brutal winters and an inside range might just be what people would go for. Maybe a .22 range and a pistol range?

You can be an instructor and gunsmith as well. You will make twice or maybe three times the amount of money and you will know how to fix your own guns. 

I get the impression that firearms instructors are a dime a dozen in the US but they're not all that common in Canada. Up here a good way to make a career out of it is to be a "use of force" instructor for a government agency or a police / military organization. They're common in police / military but they're a fairly new phenomenon for many government agencies (like customs & immigration) who only recently started carrying firearms.

Latest Activity

Rod_12c updated their profile
1 hour ago
Nick H replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"I would second the advice of suggesting she find professional help (counselling). If she is struggling with giving up alcohol then that's a big task. Also, protect yourself. When someone tells you that every other person they know is mean to…"
2 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to John Muir's discussion How to avoid a speeding ticket
"One time my great grandfather got pulled over; the cop must have thought he was drunk. The cop then learns that he was reading his Bible. While driving. Got off with a warning. So maybe if you keep a Bible open you can BS your way out of a ticket."
5 hours ago
Dave P replied to John Muir's discussion How to avoid a speeding ticket
"From personal experience, I have learned and told my kids "Don't stand out." Keep up with traffic; slow or speed up when traffic does. Going too slow in fast traffic is just as bad as speeding around and through the crowd. A long…"
5 hours ago
Chip left a comment for Joseph Mcallen
"No problem, Joseph. Hope to chat soon!"
5 hours ago
Craig replied to John Smith's discussion Creating an Online Freelance Business?
"just the $69. It give you a theme for your wordpress installation. So when you go to the divi theme site it shows you a bunch of stuff to build a site. it gives you those tools. it's more complex than weebly. But far far far more powerful. i…"
6 hours ago
Kevin Collier replied to Sen's discussion Most Cost Effective Rifle in the group Riflemen
"J.R. has a very good point about buying used. I am so used to it, I forget that."
7 hours ago
J. R. Thompson replied to Sen's discussion Most Cost Effective Rifle in the group Riflemen
"While there's nothing at all wrong with buying used, I generally wouldn't suggest it to a first time gun buyer, especially someone with little previous firearms experience. Yes, you can buy one in "like new" condition, but at…"
8 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service