Howdy everyone, this is my first post on here and I was looking for some insight. Are any of you firearms instructors or know of anyone who is one as a career? I did some serious thinking about where my life is heading last night and I was trying to think of something I could honestly do the rest of my life and love going to work everyday. My father instilled a great respect and love for firearms at a very young age and I'd like to continue that passion. So what careers involve firearms, and specifically what is the exact route to becoming a firearms instructor as a career?

Views: 1950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So does selling wedding cakes

I see what you did there....

Second suggest aside,  John Muir makes my point exactly.  He suggests owning and operating an indoor range...which would make firearms instruction part of the job, but not the whole job.

I hadn't ever considered a range. We have a few around here but they are all outdoor ranges that can only be used for about 5 months at a time. Upstate New York has some brutal winters and an inside range might just be what people would go for. Maybe a .22 range and a pistol range?

You can be an instructor and gunsmith as well. You will make twice or maybe three times the amount of money and you will know how to fix your own guns. 

I get the impression that firearms instructors are a dime a dozen in the US but they're not all that common in Canada. Up here a good way to make a career out of it is to be a "use of force" instructor for a government agency or a police / military organization. They're common in police / military but they're a fairly new phenomenon for many government agencies (like customs & immigration) who only recently started carrying firearms.

RSS

Latest Activity

Papa Thompson Jr joined Bryan Smith's group
Thumbnail

Gentlemen Apologists

A place for gentlemen of all stripes who are interested in the broad field of Christian apologetics. If you are a thoughtful man interested in pursuing a more reasonable faith, or if becoming a pipe-smoking clone of C.S. Lewis is one of your greatest aspirations, then this is the place for you.See More
1 hour ago
Shane joined Steven C.'s group
Thumbnail

Exercise

Exercise is a crucial part of maintaining a manly physique. Join up to share ideas, get support and discuss plans with other men.See More
3 hours ago
Braeden 2.0 replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"It would appear that one's speech patterns bear extensive marks of pretense, sir gentleman. Perhaps it may bamboozle the denizens of that Iberian burgh to speak in such a fashion ostentatious?"
3 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer posted a discussion

Barcelona About October

It would appear that one shall pay visit to Barcelona about October for a conference. Would aught exist able to proffer opine as to attractions about said settlement, or advice as to a sojourn thereof?See More
17 hours ago
Native Son added a discussion to the group Christian Men
Thumbnail

Personal and Political Advice from Rome.

His Holiness, Pope Francis, has a warning sign posted outside his office door.It begins "VIETATO LAMENTARSI"In English, "WHINERS PROHIBITED."The sign ends with “To get the best out of yourself, concentrate on your potential and not on your limitations. Stop complaining and take steps to improve your life.” The same advice, in a far, far blunter form, is found in a book."Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get A Life: A Kick Butt Approach to a Better Life."--Larry Winget, 2004See More
18 hours ago
Native Son replied to Native Son's discussion Political and Personal Advice from Rome. in the group The Great Debate
"A minor point for information.  The same basic advice, in a far, far blunter form is available in a book. "Shut Up, Stop Whining, And Get A Life: A Kick Butt Approach to a Better Life"              …"
18 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer replied to Specs's discussion I need some work advice.
"Matters may exist with enthalpy about the moment. One would proffer opine that naught should be of initialisation until an elapsing chronological."
19 hours ago
Roman updated their profile
22 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service