http://www.businessinsider.com/climate-change-great-filter-fermi-pa...

Came across this article on Reddit and found it pretty interesting. I thought you gents would find it interesting as well.

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Assuming there are other life forms out there, and assuming David Wallace-Wells is correct and climate change will doom us and prevent us from being able to develop the means to go visit them, that still doesn't explain why they couldn't come to us. 

Maybe they know we're doomed by climate change so they don't see a point. Though, if it were us, we'd probably take a shot at it. We study our own planet's doomed, almost-extinct species all the time. But climate change wasn't a thing 200 years ago. Or 400 years ago. (Etc.) So, assuming there's life out and there and assuming that some of it is more advanced than us, what stopped them from visiting us before climate change was a threat? The belief that mass extinctions on Earth are cyclical and thus there's no progress to be made with anyone/anything here in the long run?

I thought they were the ones that built the pyramids and only stay away now because Ted Cruz is even hated out in the greater universe

The climate change theory proposed in the article is not really the point of why I shared it.  I thought it was more interesting in the sense that its a gentle reminder that humans have only inhabited the earth for about the wink of an eye relative to the earth's time being a "living organism".

Its just an interesting concept to think about that maybe the reason we have not encountered alien life is because its like trying to find a needle in a pile of needles the size of mount everest. 

"Its just an interesting concept to think about that maybe the reason we have not encountered alien life is because its like trying to find a needle in a pile of needles the size of mount everest."

That certainly is a possibility.

Another possibility that a lot of scientists find plausible is that it's possible that we've already encountered extra-terrestrial life and we simply didn't recognize it as such or that it went/goes unnoticed.

Time is too long. Space is too large. 

There is a belief that if you multiply a really large number (of stars in the galaxy, or years in which life might spontaneously develop on one) by a really tiny number (the likelihood that life will spontaneously develop on a planet in a given year), the number must be neither really large nor really tiny.  But if you think about it, this is absurd.  10 to the 11th power times 10 to the -2011th power is 10 to the -2000th power, a tiny number.  10 to the 11th power times 10 to the -3 power is 10 to the 8th power, a big number.  And nobody has any idea just how tiny the likelihood of development of life is.  

The Fermi Paradox isn't a paradox, merely a result surprising to people who make wild suppositions like "If just 0.1% of potentially habitable planets in our galaxy harbored life."

Short answer: The Fermi Paradox is an interesting thought experiment. Linking climate change to the Fermi Paradox is stupid.

For a longer discussion, check out the Drake Equation. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Darren Holte replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"Just a few thoughts. Why lie at all ? Your deadlines are not your suppliers concern. Every good plan has cushion and contingency.  I.e. your project deadline is july 31st. You need ten thousand widgets in your warehouse by july 15th in order…"
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Portnoy's discussion Latest in Health Care in the group The Great Debate
"One thing I noticed about the entire debacle. In March, 2016, then Mr. Trump released a seven point healthcare plan outline that he wanted Congress to adopt. As far as I can tell, the only parts of his proposals that showed up in either the House or…"
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Specs's discussion I need some work advice.
"Cool your jets.  This hill ain't worth dying on.  Let it slide, but make damn sure your emails actually get sent.  (I had a similar 'went to draft' email situation when I went to Windows 10.  A number, but not all,…"
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Danny's discussion Militaria
"Just don't let the hobby take over and run your life to the exclusion of all else.  You do want to have provenance on stuff.  There's lots of reproduction stuff around, especially since "military recreating" became a…"
4 hours ago
Jay D replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"Were i want to get at is less the lying part and more the part were we put other people under pressure. From the business perspective it makes perfect sense to put people under pressure so they make deadlines so your projects or your company…"
12 hours ago
Profile IconCaberry, Eder Prado, Moses Vandenberg and 9 more joined Art of Manliness
12 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Native Son's discussion Political and Personal Advice from Rome. in the group The Great Debate
"?"
13 hours ago
Michael Hoogkamer updated their profile
13 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service