I am batting about 50/50 on ordering or making good vs dry-tasteless sandwiches. 

What is your favorite deli or homemade sandwich? 

Views: 782

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All this excitement about sandwiches, and yet all the cooking-related groups on the site are virtually dead.  :(

I think you get to the point where the site gets too fractured and that disrupts discussion by having all the different groups. I am a member of one of the cooking groups but I never go into the group page. Posting here on the main page is a lot better. I sort of agree with you but I do find it easier to just stay here on the main page for things that are more general like cooking.

-I had a question about pipe smoking and there are two groups so which one do I choose?

There are a total of 643 groups and some of those only have one member.

I'm sure we all look around from time to time and imagine how things would be better if....etc....etc... but I do wish something could be done to eliminate some of these groups that are totally and completely dead.  I might start by eliminating any groups started by members who haven't visited the site in the past six months or a year.  I don't know.  But it seams that the vast majority of the guys on this site do not have any interest in cooking, especially beyond the grilling season.  I just think it would be cool to have an online community of guys who love to cook and could share tips and experiences.  But maybe some guys have this image of women sitting around sharing recipes and so on and want nothing to do with that.  I've only been here 6 months and don't pretend to know much about this site or its past.  I just know that one of my strongest interests is food and cooking, and yet there's no real community of guys here that share that interest.  And I understand what you're saying about posting to the main boards and all, but it just seams so trivial when so few site members seam to care.

I am not so sure that even groups of 1 are a waste but I have also noticed that even some of the groups with hundreds of members can go a year with no real posts.  Generally, if you actually are hoping for a response it is better to post things on the main forum here. 

I admit to using some groups as a "data cache'" and really do not expect anyone else to post much like:  http://community.artofmanliness.com/group/historybuffs/forum/topics...

So what bread(s) do you like for sandwiches?  We have a local greenie bakery that bakes a heavy multi-grain sourdough "sandwich loaf" which I like but since they had vegetarians in mind concocting it each slice is over 100 calories.  Maybe not the healthiest thing for me so I try to stick to extra-sourdoughs and such. 

OK BLTs deserve their own thread.  Besides a tangy, fresh tomato, what is the best bread and bacon for a BLT? 

Nate - I have been let on the "secret" post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich ingredient: sliced avocado.  Extra sourdough bread is nice too. 

Oooh... I may have to try that. As for best bread, I have two picks. My favorite supermarket brand would be Rotella's Panna di Casa. I'm not sure if it's available nation-wide, but it's always been widely available here. My all-time favorite is a local Italian bakery called Orsi's. They make all different types of bread for several local restaurants (the caraway rye they make for the Bohemian Café is the stuff dreams are made of), as well as selling to the public and offering a full Italian deli. Their Italian Twist about as good as white bread gets, in my book.

Bacon is a bit easier. Hard to beat Farmland extra-thick, although a friend of my father's made his own and gave us some once. I will remember those BLT's for the rest of my life. It was so thick we had to cook it on the grill.

I love a roast beef sandwich with provolone.

Deli... Central Grocery in New Orleans has a Muffeltta that is out of this fucking world. The way most people today eat, its big enough to feed at least 2 people, and its almost all meat.

Homemade... a compressed sandwich that dates back to fox hunt days called a shooter sandwich.

If you haven't tried it, Napolean House makes a damn good one, at it is a really cool building just down from Central Grocery. They make a hot one.

I'm all about a montreal smoked meat stacked high on rye bread.  Simple, delicious.

Its making me hungry just thinking about it.

RSS

Latest Activity

Gordon Bomar replied to Shannon N. Clark's discussion Family Problem...
"Hi Shannon,  Do you have an "Update " for us? How is everything working out with your Step-Father?"
2 hours ago
Shannon N. Clark replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"A sort of current issues class would be good. Something important that generations are losing is their interest in what is happening around them and understanding what they can do about it. Something else could be useful would be a life lessons…"
4 hours ago
Dominic replied to floyd james's discussion What has happened to masculinity
"  Debatable."
5 hours ago
John Muir replied to Sir's discussion How far apart we are in the group The Great Debate
"I like the lyrics to this Irish song, regarding patriotism. The title to Tom Clancy's book "Patriot Games" is borrowed from the lyrics. Come all ye young rebels, and list while I sing, For the love of one's country is a…"
8 hours ago
John Muir replied to Sir's discussion How far apart we are in the group The Great Debate
" Actually, I know all too much. It's mostly a vice rather than a virtue.  "
9 hours ago
Sir replied to Sir's discussion How far apart we are in the group The Great Debate
"Oh, hell, just when making nice seemed possible. We don't insult each other's patriotism here.  Attack the position, not the man."
9 hours ago
Aaron F Kendrick replied to Sir's discussion How far apart we are in the group The Great Debate
"Then, I perceive you know nothing of patriotism, and it's no surprise given the philosophical bend of the country as a whole.  Patriotism has NOTHING to do whatsoever with the government, but to the principles of the country as…"
9 hours ago
Sir added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Another brick in the wall

The proposed wall with Mexico.  Or Turkey's wall with Syria.  Or Saudi's wall with Iraq.  Clinton's link:  http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/09/on-the-border/502277/?utm_...My earlier link: http://ijr.com/2015/01/233628-saudi-arabia-anti-isis-wall/Keep it civil.…See More
10 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service