I am batting about 50/50 on ordering or making good vs dry-tasteless sandwiches. 

What is your favorite deli or homemade sandwich? 

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you haven't tried the raspberry muenster grilled cheese from the AoM month of sandwiches, you're missing out!

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/19/aom-month-of-sandwiches-da...

my favorite sandwich, which i make, is a Banh Mi.   there are lots of different recipes online. check em out.

Subway: Meatball Pepperoni Melt w/ Mozzarella & Marinara Sauce. Spicey Italian on Herb'n'parm bread w/ lettuce, red onions, pickles, black olives, mustard.

Tim Hortons: Ham & Swiss w/ bacon and Tim's Sauce (basically a peppery ranch)

Home Made: Bacon, hot capicolo, genoa salami, pepperoni, mozza, mustard on brown. Bologna on white with cheddar & honey mustard.  Summer Sausage or Summer Sausage and capicolo on white with Mozza & honey mustard...damnit all, now I've got serious sandwich cravings! 

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2010/04/how-sandwich-makes-you...

That's a great Dagwood for an opening illustration!  But where's the sausage and olive that's always in the comic strip version?

Seriously, they're all good, from the simple bologna and american cheese on white with mustard and mayo to some of the more exotic combos available at the delis near work.

I've finally convinced the spouse that chicken salad and tuna salad sandwiches are immensely improved by adding some chopped celery, chopped onion, and fresh ground pepper to the chicken or tuna when making the salad (she's from a background where all you added to the chicken or tuna was mayo).

I honestly feel that the type of bread used to make a sandwich makes the most significant difference.

This is something that I learnt from a friend when visiting Perth in Scotland. There was a bakery there that made what they called 'heavy breads'. The breads were baked from all kinds of different combinations of grains and each had it's own distinct taste. The same fillings made an entirely different sandwich when we used different breads.

Wonderful memories of salmon fishing on the river Tay with wholesome sandwiches and a flask of hot coffee.

As many of you have previously noted, the BLT is one of the greatest sandwiches in the history of the universe.  The remaining 4 of the top 5 greatest sandwiches in the history of the universe include 2) the Muffaletta (native to New Orleans; 3) the Italian beef sandwich (native to Chicago); 4) the Cubano; and 5) the Cheeseburger. Also tied for the number 5 position is the Tuna Salad Sandwich.  Also, also, the Grilled Cheese sandwhich.  And the PB&J.  Shrimp Po-Boys too.  Oh, and the Croque Monsieur.  Come to think of it, there may be more than just these top five sandwiches that are the greatest in the universe.  Philly Cheesesteak.  And that awesome pastrami sandwich from Katz's deli in NYC.

Hmmm.... BLTs are delicious. They're sweet, salty, chewy, refreshing, crunchy and savoury. The universe is a big place, though - inconceivably so - and there must be an equal or greater sandwich out there somewhere....

Some day.... some day..... 

My favorite (Just mine, mind you)- Roast beef piled high, smoked gouda, Horseradish (straight, just ground with salt and vinegar. Only pansies dilute it in mayo), thick slice of red onion, enough coarse-cracked pepper that you have to crunch on it, all on sourdough caraway rye. No way you'll be getting kissed any time in the next millennium, but DAMN is it good! Add a slice of homegrown tomato, if they're in season. If they aren't they aren't worth eating.

A close second- The classic Thanksgiving sandwich. Cold leftover turkey, cranberry sauce (Use canned if you must, but homemade is worlds better and stupid easy to make), thick slice of red onion, and the sharpest cheddar you can find. Extra points if the bread you use is homemade or leftover rolls.

That roast beef sandwich sounds awesome. I love horseradish but can't stand mayo (sandwich lube). I am thinking about growing horseradish in my garden this year.

A man after my own heart. It isn't hard to grow, but you have to make sure it gets plenty of water. Same thing with onions. In Texas, I'm sure you know what I mean. I grew some two years ago, during that awful drought. I must not have given it enough water, because it was so strong it was almost inedible (and this is from a horseradish lover and chili-head). My eyes would tear up so bad I couldn't see. For Christmas, my little brother's girlfriend got me a jar of "Hot Irish Mustard". Tried it on the same sandwich in place of the horseradish and almost melted my eyeballs. I have GOT to find out where she found that stuff.

Is it possible to cut some of the root off and then bury it back in the soil? I am hoping I can do this and just go out occasionally to get more horseradish from my yard. I have also heard the flavor is greatly improved after the first frost. Did yours have a chance to go through a frost?

As far as re-planting cuttings, I don't know. It seems possible, like many other root crops. I still have a few jars horseradish from that year, so I haven't tried to grow any since. As far as the frost, I had to harvest mine before the frost came. It was really late that year, and if you leave it too long it gets woody and bitter. Might have to try again this year, just to see.

RSS

Latest Activity

Regular Joe replied to Marco Rodrigues's discussion What should I wear for my senior portraits?
"We were just told something along the lines of "Pictures are on X day so look nice or deal with the consequences of having a crappy picture." "
6 minutes ago
Andrew replied to James B.'s discussion Just got a girl's number, need some advice
"Exactly what Joe said!  She is clearly interested.  Make sure you have a specific plan for the date. Suggest a day and time but let her ultimately decide that based on her schedule.  FOR GOD"S SAKE do NOT text! "
18 minutes ago
Don Judd replied to Don Judd's discussion Selecting a belt?
"Thanks guys. I didn't realize that braided belts were okay for professional attire.  I also didn't realize the thrift shops were a good place to look for quality belts. We are a small town, and have no cobblers or leather shops here…"
28 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Demetri Martinez's discussion Falling in Love Hurts
"I don't think you're completely correct that there is no "one".  There is a "one", that is the one you feel you want to propose to.  It's not a "one and only" type of thing but one you can…"
37 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Marco Rodrigues's discussion What should I wear for my senior portraits?
"Hasn't it though?  I only took one picture although they asked us to wear suits for the guys and dresses for the girls and the school photographer took the picture.  Now it's "spend thousands trying to get that perfect…"
44 minutes ago
Adam Parker replied to oracle989's discussion Cities? in the group North Carolina
"Hickory area here. Born and raised in Catawba County."
46 minutes ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Al Clunnie's discussion Getting the most out of day to day life
"I have to read through that hell of an article, but I don't mind sharing my thoughts."
47 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Don Judd's discussion Selecting a belt?
"If you can afford it purchase good belts from places like Eddy Bauer or other higher end stores.  The reason is that although you're paying $40 to $50 a belt it will last you much longer.  If a belt at Walmart costs you $20 and over…"
49 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service