This is more of a question for the war vets on here.  Is the digital camo fatigues the army uses now an improvement?  I heard that it breaks the outline better, but the one-pattern-fits all principle (except for the desert) makes it stick out more.  Is there really only one pattern?  Is it better than the splotches or tiger stripes?

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The MultiCam comes in different color patterns, if the DOD is smart than they won't buy just by one for all environments. 

Oh, thank goodness.

Doesn't matter.

During my decades of Army service I’ve gone through the old green fatigues, woodland pattern BDU (Battle Dress Uniform), two types of DCUs (Desert Camouflage Uniform, “chocolate chips” and “coffee stains”), winter white coveralls, ACU (Army Combat Uniform), and now the MultiCams.  The base camouflage uniform is just that: a base upon which to build layers of material from the local environment.  Some patterns are better suited for some environments than others, but no one pattern or color is suitable for everywhere or all seasons.  IMHO the current crop of digital uniforms are pretty much completely worthless for their advertised purpose “down range”, though the new MultiCams (which seem like smaller pattern woodland BDUs) work better than the God-awful ACUs in the mountain terrain of Afghanistan.  Night, snow, jungle, desert (every desert is different), forest (each season), grasslands, mountains, swamps, etc. all present widely different camo challenges.  The only hard rule of thumb is to layer local natural items on yourself and keep reapplying natural materials as you move through the terrain. I always preferred being covered in local dust, dirt, mud, and foliage whenever I was outside the wire - the CIF (Central Issue Facility) be damned upon turn-in.

RSS

Latest Activity

Fernando commented on Pedro Angel Serrano's photo
Thumbnail

Hygiene: WW II

"Pedro what does this have to do with hygiene lol"
7 minutes ago
Pale Horse commented on Pale Horse's status
"Yes, that would explain why there are remnants of him. My mistake."
42 minutes ago
Ghaith Lattouf joined Nolan Poulson's group
Thumbnail

The Barbershop

It's just seems natural that Art of Manliness should have a barbershop group.  My intent of this group is to gather and share general thoughts and experiences concerning barbershops. Anything from a good barbershop that you have found  to pictures and stories of shops you have visited to discussing anything barbershop.  See More
53 minutes ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to Demetri Martinez's discussion Falling in Love Hurts
"Agree with this ^^ She sounds like 'one of those girls' that blow hot and cold. let her do the chasing, best way to keep them simmerin' "
1 hour ago
Lucius Artorius Castus commented on Pale Horse's status
"Actually, I think he was moderated"
1 hour ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Demetri Martinez's discussion Falling in Love Hurts
"You know the lyric: Lady on the streets, a freak in the sheets. But it's clear you're just trying to rile me up, so *shrug*. I have no quip with you."
2 hours ago
Brown Fox replied to Peter Amara's discussion Shirt Style at Work in the group The Shirtless Man
"I never have to worry about sweat stains because my classroom is freezing cold no matter the season. In fact, the main reason I wear a lab coat is to stay warm.  I've been lamenting the fact that I can't find any…"
2 hours ago
Marco Rodrigues posted a discussion

What should I wear for my senior portraits?

My session for senior portraits is coming and I need tips on what to wear to it.See More
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service