This is more of a question for the war vets on here.  Is the digital camo fatigues the army uses now an improvement?  I heard that it breaks the outline better, but the one-pattern-fits all principle (except for the desert) makes it stick out more.  Is there really only one pattern?  Is it better than the splotches or tiger stripes?

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The MultiCam comes in different color patterns, if the DOD is smart than they won't buy just by one for all environments. 

Oh, thank goodness.

Doesn't matter.

During my decades of Army service I’ve gone through the old green fatigues, woodland pattern BDU (Battle Dress Uniform), two types of DCUs (Desert Camouflage Uniform, “chocolate chips” and “coffee stains”), winter white coveralls, ACU (Army Combat Uniform), and now the MultiCams.  The base camouflage uniform is just that: a base upon which to build layers of material from the local environment.  Some patterns are better suited for some environments than others, but no one pattern or color is suitable for everywhere or all seasons.  IMHO the current crop of digital uniforms are pretty much completely worthless for their advertised purpose “down range”, though the new MultiCams (which seem like smaller pattern woodland BDUs) work better than the God-awful ACUs in the mountain terrain of Afghanistan.  Night, snow, jungle, desert (every desert is different), forest (each season), grasslands, mountains, swamps, etc. all present widely different camo challenges.  The only hard rule of thumb is to layer local natural items on yourself and keep reapplying natural materials as you move through the terrain. I always preferred being covered in local dust, dirt, mud, and foliage whenever I was outside the wire - the CIF (Central Issue Facility) be damned upon turn-in.

RSS

Latest Activity

Muad'Dib replied to N. Vest's discussion Bug Out Bag,
"No, you're not."
8 minutes ago
Chuck Knight commented on Jeremy's album
Thumbnail

Mexico 2010

"I thought I recognized Tulum. Beautiful ruins, spectacular cliff side vistas, and the clearest turquoise water I've ever seen. It was almost startling."
57 minutes ago
N. Vest replied to N. Vest's discussion Bug Out Bag,
"When I was growing up I easily could have thrown this kit together out of the stuff in the garage. But my dad spent decades picking up camping gear here and there. Now that I'm married with kids of my own I have accumulated that kind of gear…"
1 hour ago
"I'll be honest here, I would rather be in the woods "roughing" it than in any place the redcross/FEMA/whoever set up. Call me paranoid, but that many desperate people in once place is just waiting for bad things to happen. And yes it…"
1 hour ago
"I like the cache idea and Shane has really got me thinking about the holes in the planning portion of things. As I see it now I would rather use a cache as a more of a supplement to the B.O.B. then a replacement. As nothing ever goes according to…"
1 hour ago
"Was talking with the wife about the food/water weight issue and she came back with this idea. Honestly it's not bad, I could haul over most terrain and between it and the double wide running stroller we could give the kids a break from…"
2 hours ago
N. Vest replied to Matt's discussion Attacked by Feminists
" "
4 hours ago
Stuart Charles replied to The Eyeball Kid's discussion Who has quit smoking?
"i used Champix, but only for 2 weeks as opposed to the 3 months you're supposed to. I smoked for 14 years, and haven't had one for 2 years now.   It's fucking hard, simple as that. You just have to really not want to."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service