I'm battling depression at work. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The "usual suspects" in the AoM Community need a bit more detail.

The "usual suspects" in the AoM Community need a bit more detail.

Hey man, I'm just doing what I really love at work. It's going on my 3rd year. They had me doing more at first...  plus not paid well... sexless marriage... ect

Whoa!  Sexless marriage?  That's your problem, chief.

Meaning your are dealing with depression  and are wondering how to keep it from hurting you at work?  Or meaning you hate your job and it is making you depressed? 

Because those have very different solutions.

Hello,

I am dealing with depression. I always have been.

I am grateful for my job. But I should never have settled for the salary they gave me. They would not negotiate and I was desperate for the job. Meanwhile I find others got hired at a much higher salary... meantime I have many more skills and experience.

Also, one worker kind of snubbed me as a joke. I still don't know how to take it. Many a jest comes out in truth.

Also marriage... no affection or sex... very depressing.

Thank you for the link. I'll read it.

Read "Feeling Good" by David Burns, especially this checklist taken from that book.

https://www.apsu.edu/sites/apsu.edu/files/counseling/COGNITIVE_0.pdf

I have battled depression most of my life (heredity; gift from mom). This book was recommended by my therapist. Changed my whole outlook; I'm in my 50s now, and while it's still not easy sometimes, at least I know when to spot signs and try to manage them before they escalate. Keep the faith, man. You're not alone.

And I got a bad boss at work right now too. Merry Christmas....

Tim thanks for that pdf. It looks very interesting.

Just a thought. When was your last "me time" break from work and family?
I mean time when you just spent a day or so doing things you like to do, away from your family and your job.
It can be tough to arrange, but the benefits of getting out of the rut are worth it.
This break can be as short as one day, but the key is that it's just you, your agenda, and away from work and the family.
I do not mean a complete split from your family, but you do need some time just to do your thing and break from your usual routines.
Your break could be a simple taking a walk in the woods, or going on a weekend religious retreat, even going fishing or just reading a book under a tree in the park.

One rule, though. Be sure your spouse has the opportunity to get her break from routine as well.

Good advice. But I tend to be a loner as it is. If anything I need time with people.

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"Daggumit, Shane, read Dune."
12 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Or better yet, think of the people who unironically have waifus!"
14 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Wow, congratulations. My goal is just to have a more healthful diet. I am not overweight, but I do have a family history of diabetes, and I know eventually when I'm older that eating junk food will have greater consequences. Thanks for the…"
14 minutes ago
"Good point on changing the mindset. I think most of us have an "I shouldn't" frame of mind rather than an "I don't" frame of mind, at least when it comes to vices. I'm not sure I want to watch one of those…"
18 minutes ago
"Same here, an ice cold coke is one of the best things on earth. Mexican coke is more expensive here too, so maybe if I only drink that I'll cut down out of monetary necessity!"
22 minutes ago
Braeden replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"If Shane and Clinton have united against you, its time to stop and think about your life."
25 minutes ago
Sir replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"It's always possible to put spin on.  Doesn't mean much, though."
25 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"You completely missed the point..."
30 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service