Hey guys,

Just wondering - how in the name of the seven hells can I answer more emails faster, and reduce the long term amount of stuff I need to answer? Yes, I know that there is a *delete*-button, but, generally, what can you recommend me there. - I am a notorious workaholic, mind you, and I realize I need to take some time off, sometimes...

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It depends on your situation.  To reduce the number of emails you receive, use the phone and face-to-face conversation more and email less, and encourage the same with your co-workers.  Re-evaluate what you need to be cc'd on, and whether you need to use so many cc's.

If you use Outlook, learn to use "rules". 

Also, run a few lifehacker.com and youtube searches for email management or email productivity. There are loads of principles and techniques and systems you can use to become more efficient. 

I do a lot to make this happen.  Here are some things I do, using Outlook.

* Rule:  if the mail comes to a distribution list, it automatically goes into my "mass mailings" folder.

* Rule:  if the mail has "142" in the title (that's the number of one of my classes), it goes straight to my 142 grading folder.  Students are asked not to put "142" in the title if they want an immediate response.

* Rule:  if anybody sends me something that is clearly a time-waster, I add a rule -- that person's mails go straight to my delete folder.

* Rule:  certain things in the subject line that indicate it'll waste my time ("Iraq" used to be an example) are covered by a rule that sends things to the delete folder.

* My work email never gets sent to anybody that's not an individual and a real person.  I still get spam, but not much.  My workplace has an automatic spam filter that catches 2-5 messages a week for me, and sends me a notification.  I delete the notification unread, because it's been completely accurate so far.  If I must give a web site my email, I use my "feel free to send me spam because I don't read it anyway" account on Yahoo!.

* I use folders extensively for different areas of life:  for classes, for investing, for this and that social org I'm in, for things related to my kids...

And I'm still spending half an hour today moving things around and deleting them.

Wow, thanks so much! Much to process, but many good ideas! :)

Will get back to you later, will try to implement a few of those...

I have my non-time-sensitive emails handled through unroll.me

Basically it gathers all of today's emails and formats them into a single email I will get tomorrow morning. A quick browse down that lets me know what I need to read, reply to, or just ignore. It's quite nice.

There I was going to give you guys my thanks, then, in the process of posting this, I realize I have TWO accounts here! -_- Talk about decluttering my internet... (Will contact support.)

Anyway, on topic: MANY THANKS! :) Evaluating some of the measures I took over the last few days, I can say that I am slowly wading out of the swamp that I myself created. Unroll.me seems like a feature that fits right into what I am trying to establish for myself. :)

Latest Activity

Sir replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"I once asked a (male) friend if I could call him any time of day or night if going cold turkey on TV got me into depression.  He told me later how much he was hoping I didn't choose the middle of the night... but he said sure.  I…"
2 hours ago
Joshua Paul Hood replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"I was thinking of letting her know that she can call or text me any time of day if she needs to talk about anything. I just wasn't sure if that would be over stepping any boundaries in any way."
2 hours ago
Joshua Paul Hood replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"Thanks for advice."
2 hours ago
Kevin Collier replied to Sen's discussion Most Cost Effective Rifle in the group Riflemen
"Okay then, a good .22 is the way to go. In a bolt action look for a used Marlin 25, they had fantastic barrels. New bolt, check out the CZ rifles, not cheap, but not heartbreakers either. In a semi-auto, go with a Ruger 10-22, they run forever, and…"
2 hours ago
MJB joined Tyler Wainright's group

Manly Dads

This group is for men out there who have children and are looking for a better way to balance manhood with fatherhood
3 hours ago
MJB joined M Saxton's group

The Art of Warriorness

Just as Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War,” has been applied to many different aspects of modern life; I believe there are many great lessons to be learned from all of the warriors and warrior societies, from SEALS to Samurais, and Spetsnaz to Spartans.
3 hours ago
Specs updated their profile
3 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to John Smith's discussion Creating an Online Freelance Business?
"I like wordpress, but it's a bit more DIY, even with good themes. For an all in one (albeit a bit more money up front - but not much), try Squarespace.  "
4 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service