I think this is an interesting and stimulating topic, relevant for the members of the AoM forum. It is about proper responses to annoying behavior and people, what is the "high-road" in dealing with them? I have noticed for example on this site, there are a few pricks on here. Guys who think they know everything, arrogant pisses, whiners and complainers, insecure losers, delusional fools, etc. I'm not homophobic, but I've also have noticed there are quite a few dandies on here too. I mean there is a guy on here who is talking about how he likes to be naked and what guys think about other naked guys. What is up with that?

Anyway, most of you guys are intelligent, good people it seems, with friendly dispositions. Guys like myself, perusing this site for insights, nuggets of useful information, writing practice, thought-provoking debate, and what-have-you. But there always seems to be in any internet forum some handful of people that are just irritating, some obnoxious elements present, real jackasses.

How do you guys deal with people you find personally offensive? What are your usual options? Is it best to ignore, mock, attack, retreat?

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-ignore any of their baiting statements

-do not initiate conversation with them

-do not allow them to initiate conversation with you

-only interact with them in the capacity of work, "hey when can you have this ready"  "is this complete"  "I will have this done by *** then you can have it"

-keep as many quesitons as possible to a yes or no format, get your answer and move on.

I'll mockingly humor him until he's no longer amusing.  Thereafter, I'll typically disengage unless spoken to directly ... at which point my response'll be laconic.

JB

Always remember that dealing with the obnoxious means that you will have to at time meet them head on in a conflict of wills, minds, etc. Here's the thing: never take them on in a one on one scenario. Always have others around who can witness the dealings. Squaring off one on one with someone like that really does no one any good. Having someone see the obnoxoid going off will help you get your feet underneat you and have someone who can agree with you throughout the match.

It's been my experience that obnoxious people never think they're wrong. In order to deal with them, you have to prove them wrong with an audience. Really try to steer any interaction with these people in front of a group. Do not be afraid to speak up when there are others around. As long as you're being honest and non-reactionary, the obnoxious type will show themselves as they charlatan that they are.

Good stuff.

That is one of the most insightful and helpful advice that I have read in a while on the forum. Get them into a public situation where their incorrectness can be pointed out. Excellent.

As opposed to a private situation on a public forum? Do you think before you post or does this shit just spew out of your keyboard on its own?

Ah...Here is one of them now.

Okay, Complaining versus Complimenting...who wins there? It looks clear that I do, so me. Also, groundless Insults versus Thoughtful debate? Who wins there? Oh, me again.

Thank You Pettimore for being my practice dummy for this demonstration. I look forward to our continuing partnership.

Logic just isn't your strong suit. Well, you always have your good looks.

Oh, wait...

Usually ignore.

As for finding offensive, I cannot control anyone's actions, but I can control how I react and feel.

See above.

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion The Horror of Day to Day Life
"I was a subsistence hunter for most of my adult life. I highly recommend putting yourself at the top of the food chain. Even if you're a vegetarian. You should know the work that goes into keeping you alive for a year."
2 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion The Horror of Day to Day Life
"I don't see how any Judeo-Christian or Darwinist could feel uncomfortable with eating meat. For each it's just a natural part of the ecosystem."
3 hours ago
Jack Bauer replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion The Horror of Day to Day Life
"Maybe it's just me ... but describing carnivorism as "eating flesh cut from corpses of conquered lower life-forms" still wouldn't strike me as at all horrific.  Just the reality of life.  Some life -- maybe even most --…"
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Braeden 2.0's discussion The Horror of Day to Day Life
"Y'all are pussies. You're supposed to grow out of that kind of squeamishness before puberty. And here I thought I'd found a thread on the horror of mundanity."
4 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Lumberjoe's discussion Some People Dislike The New LGBTQ(etc.) Pride Flag Because Racism in the group The Great Debate
"I generally divide political factions into four groups, simply because most people fall into one of these four groups whether they think they do or not. First and second are low-itelligence left and right. Both are vulgar followers who think…"
4 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Cody "Rooster" McDonnell's discussion Sailing Crew Needed
"If I were naive and carefree I'd pack my bag right now. Sounds like a blast. Godspeed."
5 hours ago
Shane replied to John Muir's discussion Donald Trump Is A Greedy, Creepy, Ignorant Jerk in the group The Great Debate
"@Jay What makes you think I'm going to go point by point to debunk your bullshit when you don't actually care? BTW, just glancing at it, the third on the list is bullshit too. @Dom He didn't say yes. He said, "ummm. I guess…"
8 hours ago
Shane replied to John Muir's discussion Donald Trump Is A Greedy, Creepy, Ignorant Jerk in the group The Great Debate
"Oh shit never mind. Guess I've been busier than I thought."
8 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service