Could someone briefly explain Ayn Rand's philosophy; objectivism?

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" and would like to attempt "The Fountainhead" soon, but before I do I would like a better understanding of what Objectivism is. Could someone briefly describe the main tenets of that philosophy?

Views: 1658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I finished it. Its great! Not as good as Atlas Shrugged, but I enjoyed it all the same

Cool. I liked The Fountainhead a little better because it focused more one one character. But Atlas Shrugged went a lot deeper and I liked the mystery aspect.

RSS

Latest Activity

Tim Covone joined Herb Munson's group
Thumbnail

The Great Debate

"Iron sharpens iron." A place for men to impact each other by debate and exchange of ideas. This is a group where no ideas are off limits. If your motto is, "I never talk about politics or religion," this group is probably not for you. A "gym" for thinkers.See More
2 hours ago
Native Son replied to Sir's discussion US Presidential primaries in the group The Great Debate
"Welcome to the wonderul world of retail politicking.   "
2 hours ago
N Fan posted a discussion

I could have died while hiking today, don't be stupid like me

I have a cautionary tale for my fellow outdoorsmen out there. I went hiking solo today through some less traveled canyons near where I live. I unknowingly ended up off trail and was aggressively bouldering to get up and around some obstacles, mainly a decent sized waterfall. I kept pushing because I thought this was my route, and the knowledge that I wouldn't need to go down because I was on a loop. Anyway, I finally got up the bulk of it and couldn't find anything that resembled a trail.…See More
2 hours ago
Lou commented on Matthew Jones's group Real Shaving
"Good evening gentleman, just purchased an inexpensive safety razor along w/a 3 pc.set of shave soap from Walgreens. The razor appears similar to what my granddaddy use to use. I must need some practice, the first shave although effective, ultimately…"
3 hours ago
Profile IconLou and dean roger weber joined Matthew Jones's group
Thumbnail

Real Shaving

For all those who know the pleasure, ritual and value of a real shave.See More
3 hours ago
Lou joined Nolan Poulson's group
Thumbnail

The Barbershop

It's just seems natural that Art of Manliness should have a barbershop group.  My intent of this group is to gather and share general thoughts and experiences concerning barbershops. Anything from a good barbershop that you have found  to pictures and stories of shops you have visited to discussing anything barbershop.  See More
3 hours ago
Sir Edmund replied to Bruce Uall's discussion What can we do to Increase Acceptance of Shirtlessness in the group The Shirtless Man
"I was told at a young age that I wasn't good looking enough to go without a shirt, so that made me afraid to be seen shirtless in public places for several years, until a friend of mine helped give me the self confidence to never mind what…"
4 hours ago
dean roger weber joined David Zinner's group
Thumbnail

Kentucky

An AoM group dedicated to the fine southern gentlemen living in the Commonwealth.
4 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service