Could someone briefly explain Ayn Rand's philosophy; objectivism?

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" and would like to attempt "The Fountainhead" soon, but before I do I would like a better understanding of what Objectivism is. Could someone briefly describe the main tenets of that philosophy?

Views: 1436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a matter of philosophical differences, not a "line drawing game".  I find it undeniable that many feel entitled to things they ought not.  You're welcome to disagree -- but the disagreement isn't quite as trivial as you say.

As for me deeming my own philosophy 'evenhanded' and others sense of entitlement 'inflated' ... life works exactly that way.  People typically find their own opinions reasonable.

JB

Personally, I think acts of physical aggression should be where the line is drawn.. Anything else should be left to individual liberty..

Stealing your car isn't an act of physical aggression.  Its a property violation.  There should be, at minimum, a right of security in property that can be enforced on other citizens.

JB

You are right jack, I totally left out property rights, that was my bad. Acts of aggression and violation of property rights should be where the line is drawn.

Stealing property, fraud is an indirect initiation of physical force. It does fall under the libertarian NAP. Rand says much better - the principle of "non-initiation of physical force".

Its more easily categorized as a property crime rather than indirect violence.  Why bother arguing the nuances of the categorization when you can just as easily include property rights among those which libertarians believe deserve protection?

JB

"I got mine, go get yours" is closer.

JB

Or if you want mine, then go find me something of yours to exchange for it

Of course fuck everyone else.  That's why Rand's crap has had a resurgence since the 1980's.  "I've got mine."  Too bad she didn't follow her own polemic.  Her latter life was contradictory to all the shit she postulated.

I challenge you to present a single quote that amounts to "fuck everyone else". On the contrary, Rand would not be an advocate of individual rights and free trade if she believed that.

I wouldn't anticipate a coherent conversation with that one.  Its been tried.  Keep your expectations low.

JB

And neither of these two things are what she espoused.

Who are the heroes in Rand's stories? They are people who give good value for money. The anti heroes are the "greed is good" folks, those taking the unearned through force.

Hank Reardon had a product, steel and Reardon metal, that he sold for a good price, but it was good steel.

Making money...crating wealth,trading your value with others for their production is hardly "greed is good." Wanting the unearned is that.

RSS

Latest Activity

N. Vest replied to Sylvan O'Ryan's discussion Sister Being Bullied and Intimidated - Brother needs advice
"Hitmen are pricey, a tarp, a shovel and a four wheel drive will do the trick just fine. Hard to prove murder without a body. . ."
2 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to Regular Joe's discussion THE WORLD'S MANLIEST TEA
"You'll need a tea duck!"
3 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Sylvan O'Ryan's discussion Sister Being Bullied and Intimidated - Brother needs advice
"I know, as tempting as it is it would only create trouble.  My wife and I joke about that with her ex because of the stupid games he plays with our kids (he's the bio-dad) especially our daughter.  Like when my daughter graduated high…"
7 minutes ago
James Davis added a discussion to the group 30 Days to a Better Man 2009
Thumbnail

First Post, update so far:

Gents,  I'm on Day 3 of the 30 day Be a Better Man quest.  Just a quick update:Day 1: Core Values.This was a tough one for me.   In the AF, we have a set of core values drilled into us.  It took some real soul searching and understanding that it was okay to be different. 1. Be genuine. I haven't always walked around without a mask, but I've always tried to be genuine to who I am. Integrity, Actions, Sincerity all go hand in h...and with that.2. Empathy. Use it and keep an open mind. 3. Self…See More
9 minutes ago
Nathanael replied to Sylvan O'Ryan's discussion Sister Being Bullied and Intimidated - Brother needs advice
"Lawyer, separation (why on earth is she still around him this much?), restraining order if needed.  If he violates that restraining order, she should immediately call the cops, and be prepared to shoot him if he threatens violence."
9 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to thehuhman's discussion The Jeep "Wave" in the group Jeep Men
"Mostly what I've noticed is the people who own those "Pavement Princesses" don't wave. The other day I saw a Rubicon go by with the Rubicon lettering modified to LSUBICON, and another that is owned by a woman has…"
11 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Sylvan O'Ryan's discussion Sister Being Bullied and Intimidated - Brother needs advice
"Support your sister by supporting your sister ... not by beating the asshole senseless.  Might be momentarily satisfying, but unless its self-defense, you'll make things worse.  You'll land in jail.  You'll get the…"
12 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to James Flintlock's discussion How effective is Charles Atlas's Dynamic Tension?
"He still answered emails for some time after he left (at least mine). That's ok, we still have you here ;)"
12 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service