Could someone briefly explain Ayn Rand's philosophy; objectivism?

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" and would like to attempt "The Fountainhead" soon, but before I do I would like a better understanding of what Objectivism is. Could someone briefly describe the main tenets of that philosophy?

Views: 1397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As for the blind, unquestioning, unblinking loyalty of followers, I would suggest following Rand with L. Ron Hubbard.

Because, why not model your approach to life after works of complete fiction in a cult-like fashion?

Or "The Bible."

*eyeroll that can be seen from space*

Yeah, complete fiction.  Rand?  You've got to be kidding...

I think Whittaker Chambers said it best, back in the day.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-y...

Who is Whittaker Chambers? A nobody. The only reason his name is mentioned today is in connection with his smears of Ayn Rand, who 50 years later still sells millions of books. If you want to have an opinion of a controversial author like Rand the only way is to read her works yourself.

I've read Rand.  She's a third-rate novelist and a fourth-rate philosopher.

And Chambers is primarily known today for reasons that have nothing to do with Rand.

I always preferred Buckley to Rand.  Apparently publishing Whittaker Chambers' review of Atlas Shrugged -- which WFB said went a bit too far -- in National Review caused a major rift between Rand and Buckley.  They had some philosophical differences ... mostly that he didn't share her general disdain for all altruism, not just feigned altruism of the government variety.

Rand has her moments.  She makes some solid points, and I generally like her work.  But, there are limitations to her philosophy.

JB

Which, of course, is expected.

To have the perfect philosophy implies infinite wisdom. Yet we are finite human beings.

Rand's philosophy is, in my view, ignoring any dimensions of humans we would call spiritual. But she was attempting to formulate a system of thinking and behaving that would allow humans to grow and prosper and live together peaceably. A philosophy based on rational interaction, where the initiation of physical force is considered abhorrent, seems like a reasonable start.

where the initiation of physical force is considered abhorrent

You may have missed her sex scenes.

I saw more love and affection in the love scenes from oz

Objectivism is basically the celebration of being a sociopath. 

Sociopath is in style.  Me first, always...

RSS

Latest Activity

Matt195 left a comment for Timothy Hyden
"Welcome to AoM fellow Christian!  Hope you find this site helpful.  Be sure to check out some of the groups for additional information and support."
22 minutes ago
John Muir replied to John Muir's discussion A Time To Kill in the group The Great Debate
"Welp, since Israel evicted 10 thousand jewish settlers from the Gaza strip prior to handing over control to the Palestinian Authority ,and since the  Gaza birth rate has been in decline, how do you explain the population growth? "
23 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Pale Horse's discussion Strangers Like Us
"Counterproductive word choice.  Dropping the term 'faggot' in mixed company -- unless you're aiming to offend -- is bound to derail things.  You should've seen the above responses coming.  If you're going to…"
31 minutes ago
Vytautas replied to Pale Horse's discussion Strangers Like Us
"Maybe he has a mouse in his pocket!"
32 minutes ago
Nathanael replied to Pale Horse's discussion Strangers Like Us
"Who is this "we" you speak of?"
41 minutes ago
Chip replied to Harry Mcgrath's discussion Finding a Taylor
"Yeah, Liam's advice is good. Those other search terms may be a bit more refined in terms of the work you are looking for. Let us know how it goes!"
1 hour ago
Ian Brett Cooper replied to Pale Horse's discussion Strangers Like Us
""...these aren't a bunch of metrosexual faggots like I initially thought." Classy! Always good to see posts from the trailer trash contingent."
1 hour ago
George Henry Robbins III commented on Badabing's group Wrestling Fight Club
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service