Could someone briefly explain Ayn Rand's philosophy; objectivism?

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" and would like to attempt "The Fountainhead" soon, but before I do I would like a better understanding of what Objectivism is. Could someone briefly describe the main tenets of that philosophy?

Views: 1711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always preferred Buckley to Rand.  Apparently publishing Whittaker Chambers' review of Atlas Shrugged -- which WFB said went a bit too far -- in National Review caused a major rift between Rand and Buckley.  They had some philosophical differences ... mostly that he didn't share her general disdain for all altruism, not just feigned altruism of the government variety.

Rand has her moments.  She makes some solid points, and I generally like her work.  But, there are limitations to her philosophy.

JB

Which, of course, is expected.

To have the perfect philosophy implies infinite wisdom. Yet we are finite human beings.

Rand's philosophy is, in my view, ignoring any dimensions of humans we would call spiritual. But she was attempting to formulate a system of thinking and behaving that would allow humans to grow and prosper and live together peaceably. A philosophy based on rational interaction, where the initiation of physical force is considered abhorrent, seems like a reasonable start.

where the initiation of physical force is considered abhorrent

You may have missed her sex scenes.

I saw more love and affection in the love scenes from oz

Objectivism is basically the celebration of being a sociopath. 

Sociopath is in style.  Me first, always...

I'm a little late to this conversation, obviously, but I respect Rand and agree with her main points.

So how are you liking "The Fountainhead," Stephen?

I finished it. Its great! Not as good as Atlas Shrugged, but I enjoyed it all the same

Cool. I liked The Fountainhead a little better because it focused more one one character. But Atlas Shrugged went a lot deeper and I liked the mystery aspect.

RSS

Latest Activity

Mongoose replied to John Castiglia's discussion At a crossroads with a friendship
"There's no need to cut your friendship with him since you enjoy his company. Just know that A), you can't trust him and B) he does not place as much importance on the friendship as you do. To end the friendship would not benefit you, but…"
10 minutes ago
Vendetta replied to Alexander T.'s discussion Hi all
"Welcome!"
15 minutes ago
David F. replied to John Castiglia's discussion At a crossroads with a friendship
"Then you need to have a sit down with him about him NOT needing to be dishonest to spare your feelings.  It may be that ..........  Really any example will work.  The point is that you both need to figure out how to communicate with…"
24 minutes ago
David F. replied to M Cahill's discussion Question: adjusting evenness of double-sided razor
"I have a short handle and a long handle Merkur and I use Feathers also.   How do you put the blade on?  You may be able to push the blade to one side the slight amount needed to fix the problem. The other option is to not tighten the blade…"
28 minutes ago
Paul H commented on Paul H's photo
Thumbnail

wedding

"Wedding in the woods!"
36 minutes ago
Paul H posted a photo
37 minutes ago
Mongoose replied to Mongoose's discussion Help with Identification Small Tree 1 in the group A Man's Garden
1 hour ago
Vendetta replied to Vendetta's discussion Marriage Advice
"Thanks for the advice everyone. Wedding was wonderful and was better than we ever could have expected."
1 hour ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service