Could someone briefly explain Ayn Rand's philosophy; objectivism?

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" and would like to attempt "The Fountainhead" soon, but before I do I would like a better understanding of what Objectivism is. Could someone briefly describe the main tenets of that philosophy?

Views: 1596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As far as I can tell, there's no room for love.

What makes you say that? I love my wife dearly, and do many things for her freely, including making sacrifices. But I am not an altruist because I DO love her,and the relationship beings me joy.

That is an objectivist trait: does this make me happy and enhance my life, though I wouldn't call myself a die hard objectivist.

Her archetypes don't know love.  They don't express it.  They don't experience it.  Any semblance of what passes for lovemaking to her, is reached through mutual agreement to engage in prurient pleasure.  It's more like integrated mutual masturbation than fulfillment of emotional need.  Which is fine.  It's the reason we have fuck buddies today.  But, it ain't Romeo and Juliet.

Greed is good.

Put alternatively: I got mine. Fuck everyone else.

Or, put more accurately, don't get in my way and I won't get in yours.  So each of us can pursue what we want, without interference.

Problem is, there’s not much of consequence that you can do that doesn’t impinge on others in one way or another.

Depends on how loosely you define "impinge".

JB

No, depends on how others (those being "impinged") define the term.

That somebody feels "impinged" certainly doesn't necessarily mean they were.  A truer statement might be "there's not much of consequence you can do without bothering somebody's inflated sense of entitlement in one way or another".

JB

"there's not much of consequence you can do without bothering somebody's inflated sense of entitlement in one way or another."

But isn’t that a line drawing game?  “What you deem "consequential" is automatically evenhanded while others have an “inflated sense of entitlement.”  Life doesn't work that way Jack. 

It is a matter of philosophical differences, not a "line drawing game".  I find it undeniable that many feel entitled to things they ought not.  You're welcome to disagree -- but the disagreement isn't quite as trivial as you say.

As for me deeming my own philosophy 'evenhanded' and others sense of entitlement 'inflated' ... life works exactly that way.  People typically find their own opinions reasonable.

JB

RSS

Latest Activity

Jay D replied to Chatmonkey's discussion Trying to breakout of my 'Mental Prison'
"In case you are going to cross any borders with non legal substances anywhere in your car, a mohawk and nose piercing will get you stopped. TMYK"
18 minutes ago
Will replied to Chatmonkey's discussion Trying to breakout of my 'Mental Prison'
"?"
57 minutes ago
John L replied to Cory Ross's discussion New to AOM
"Hello Cory and welcome to AoM.  I have the impression you are a loving father and husband; I applaud you on that.  I've no doubt you are a fine role model for your son.  I have a daughter and two sons and I'm quite proud of…"
1 hour ago
Jay D replied to Chatmonkey's discussion Trying to breakout of my 'Mental Prison'
"On drugs"There's a time and place for everything, children it's called college" Jerome "Chef" McElroy No problem with trying out new things but be sure to make it for the right reasons. Honest advice, dont go out so…"
1 hour ago
Steve Dallas replied to Chatmonkey's discussion Trying to breakout of my 'Mental Prison'
"Get the tattoo, use it as a rememberance of this time that you grew, that you went out of your comfort zone and you took some insanely huge steps towards becoming a man. Going over seas for a year and experiencing all that you have, you are most…"
2 hours ago
N. Vest updated their profile
5 hours ago
ms1232 posted a status
6 hours ago
ms1232 posted a status
6 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service