So, I write a comment on the post about veterans today. Hit the "submit" button. See the "this comment is awaiting moderation" message. Then -- about 5 hours later-- my comment is still not there.

I didn't used bad words, nor did I write anything that I could regard as offensive to others.

So why was it censored? Because I don't agree with the author or the site owner?
I'm really upset about this. I don't think my opinion is any better than the next guy's, but I certanly do think it's JUST as important as his.

Has anybody had a similar issue in the past?

P.S. If you were about to write something like "well, it's Brett's blog, so if you don't like it just leave", please note that I do like the blog --a lot. But I also like virtues such as intelectual honesty, opennes and transparency.

Views: 1250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jack, you have no right to doubt my intentions. Do you think I would have tried so hard to explain myself if my only purpose were to provoke?

Learn to write a sentence without using an ad hominem fallacy. Then come back and say whatever you want.

I have every right to doubt you whenever I see fit.  I have no idea why you think "trying to explain yourself" is evidence that you didn't intend to provoke people.  If you hadn't intended to provoke a response with your anti-Veteran comment on a Veteran's Day post, you wouldn't have been so exasperated that Brett denied you the opportunity.

You should take it as a compliment that I doubted that you were stupid enough to think that your comment wouldn't've provoked a response.  You should also learn the definition of "ad hominem fallacy".  You weren't attacked.

JB

Jack, a sign of maturity is to attack ideas, not the people who hold them true. If you think calling me petty and stupid isn't a direct attack, then it is you who have to check your definitions.

That is a lesson you can learn from D.J. The man has a soldier on his avatar picture and still has shown twice the civility you'll ever have.

One always appreciates lessons in maturity and civility from a guy that came here to fuss about the injustice of his pot-shot at veterans being blocked on Veteran's Day. Thanks anyway.

I said your comment was petty. It was. That was addressing the comment, not the personality of the commenter.

I also said I assumed you weren't stupid enough to actually believe your own nonsense about not intending to incite/hijack the comment section. That's an attack on the line you were selling. Buying your line would've required the opposite assumption about your intelligence. I avoided insulting your intelligence the only way I could, by assuming the stupidity was a lie. You're welcome.

DJs avatar is Gen. George Patton. Patton would've smacked you around. I think I've held back well enough.

JB

OK, Jack. Let's call it a day. Thank you for your time posting in this thread.

I'm south of the border "amigou". Wrong continent.

I guessed from your spelling of "honour". Doesn't change the content if the response.

JB
Canadians throw in the extra u as well.

I'm sorry, but I didn't intend to "denigrate the sacrifice of men and women...". All I'm saying is I rather celebrate peace and those who seek for it than war and those who make it. Perhaps I underestimated the controversial effect of my comment (I can see that now, judging by your reactions). But I must emphasize that it wasn't my intention to irritate anybody.

Edit: I asked Brett about the comment hours ago. I don't think I'll get an answer from him (and that's ok).

You're free to hold whatever opinion you want. But I think the point the guys on here are trying to make was that there is a time and place for everything. Expressing your opinion on that particular article was neither the time nor the place to do so. The forums here, and The Great Debate in particular, are much more suitable. 

Point taken. 

Maybe you firmly believe 1 and 2. Okay, your business. But was it necessary to say it in a forum of honoring vets? Then complain if it's not posted by they guy that owns the blog? With free speech comes responsibility, and a right to free speech does not guarantee an adoring, simpering audience.

Can you really say you like intellectual honesty if your post on a veteran's day blog is intended to cause trouble? You were not being honest with yourself if you didn't think it through. Sometimes, a man must self-censor so as not to do harm.

Glad I typed all that coz my first reaction was nasty, but I self-censored as an example. Capisce?

RSS

Latest Activity

Kyle Millett joined thehuhman's group
Thumbnail

AoM PhotoGroup

Alright, all of you budding and seasoned photographers out there. Here's your official AoM Group. Let's do ourselves proud, by becoming the largest group here!See More
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined Carlos Lemus's group
Thumbnail

Book Group

This is a group for all those of us who enjoy a good book. In this group you can submit reviews, start discussions on specific books, or simply share what you're reading.
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined A College Student's group
Thumbnail

The Man and the Woman

This group is dedicated to provide male and female perspectives relating to men, women, and gender--its relevancy, differences, struggles, thoughts, transitions, etc.See More
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined Mike Norris's group
Thumbnail

Mantiques

A place for guys to show off finds and discuss places to obtain hard to find reminders of manly days gone by.
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined Raj's group
Thumbnail

History Buffs

A place for history buffs to discuss historical issues and expand the knowledge of our past. Whether your into US history, European history, African history, or any other, come join us!See More
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined Michael Neal's group
Thumbnail

Comedy!

Laughter is fundamental.... Necessary for health of the body and the mind. LAUGH!
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined Sasha's group
Thumbnail

WORTHLESS BANTER

A place to talk sheer utter nonsense. That way serious posts can have serious discussions. Feeling Snarky - post it here. Want to vent - let off some steam. However do please adhere to the rules of AoM.See More
4 hours ago
Kyle Millett joined Luke A Sorensen's group
Thumbnail

Norse mythology

This is a place were guys can get together and discuss Norse Mythology.
4 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service