Can I Get Your Opinion on Something ... Is Gardening Manly?

I was thinking about gardening and how I think it would be better on so many levels if more men did it in today's world. It kind of seems like "gardening" is feminine and "farming" is masculine.

I have a website where we create online gardening course called Organic Life Guru. The majority of our instructors are men (Check out the bottom of the homepage to see what I mean) and the majority of our online gardening courses customers are women.

What's your take on this?

Can gardening be manly?

Views: 2414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That explains the whole "cabbage patch" thingy.

I think it's manly to carry and bond with the baby, and give the wife a break.

I think gardening is classically manly be it flowers or vegetables (which I'm most interested in). 

I dream of someday having a grove of fruit and possibly nut trees and a wonderful garden.  In the movie, It's Complicated, Meryl Streep has a very nice vegetable garden outside of her home that I would love to emulate.  As another said, "self-sufficiency is manly," and gardening lends self-sufficiency.

Pansies or potatoes? Doesn't matter. Of course it's manly. You get your hands dirty, your outdoors, you use tools and shit (literally), and can compete. I still have my blue ribbons for my winning entries in the corn and water mellon classes at the 1979 Havelock Fair. But seriously, gardening covers a lot of activities, from flowers to rock gardens to a large vegetable garden to my favourite, my pot plants (medicinal) that you just have to pick a form of gardening you're fond of and start weeding. And never stop weeding.

so are women who garden manly?

No. Gardening is like athletics. There are manly athletes and sexy feminine athletes.

The very first job any man had was to tend a garden.  It was called "The Garden of Eden."

So we've continued our gardening adventures and travelled to Costa Rica to film this Permaculture Design Course: http://organiclifeguru.com/course/permaculture-design-course/

Permaculture is equally popular between men and women. 

Here's some of the videos from the course if you're interested in finding out more about permaculture & garden/homestead design:

Invisible Structures in Permaculture:

Here's a link to another video on patterns in permaculture: http://organiclifeguru.com/lesson/patterns/

Stepping back, what is the purpose of a question?  Is it really always to find an answer to something the person doesn't know?  

Chris Badgett asked: Can gardening be manly? Maybe the purpose wasn't to find an answer to something he didn't know, but maybe it was to generate discussion or hmm, to promote a website (I see nothing wrong with either).  

My bet is that Chris knows and firmly believes deep in his soul that gardening is very manly.  I mean, after all,  he's devoted much of his time to it and has a really cool website with courses.  And look, as of this writing, 2,156 views of his question.  I bet more than a few of those viewers have checked out his website and maybe some have even taken his course.

Way to go, manly Chris!

RSS

Latest Activity

Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Pale Horse's discussion General Election 2016 in the group The Great Debate
"Well that's not what I'm saying Shane so yeah...Whatever..."
30 minutes ago
Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion General Election 2016 in the group The Great Debate
"Your disagreement is clear.  And will not be resolved."
33 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion General Election 2016 in the group The Great Debate
"I'm saying human rights abuses are not the same as pulling money out of the wrong pot. Which you're saying."
37 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Pale Horse's discussion General Election 2016 in the group The Great Debate
"Saying both is fishy, is saying both is fishy.  It's not saying one is worse then the other.  I'm saying they are both fishy.  Stop trying to read into what I'm saying.  It's pretty cut and dry... Here…"
52 minutes ago
"Just pointing out...If Clinton's camp sends a whole bunch of young nice looking black men into a black neighborhood, she's going to look really good on that poll.  If she sends a bunch of people that look like they walked out of Duck…"
54 minutes ago
Profile IconIrfan Azim, Jdub Phx, Shane and 7 more joined Art of Manliness
1 hour ago
Carl Monster replied to GK's discussion Calling in sick to attend a job interview?
"Good point.  Telling them you HAVE to do something midweek, in the position he's in (they are not stupid, I'm sure they suspect he's unhappy) basically tell them he has an interview lined up, no matter how eager he is to make up…"
1 hour ago
jacksbuddy replied to Michael's discussion Has my Faith Made me Weak?
"I could not read your entire post.  I got too pissed off - - at you.  This has absolutely nothing to do with turning the other cheek. Period.  This also has nothing to do with fighting. Period.  You had a job that required you to…"
1 hour ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service