Can I Get Your Opinion on Something ... Is Gardening Manly?

I was thinking about gardening and how I think it would be better on so many levels if more men did it in today's world. It kind of seems like "gardening" is feminine and "farming" is masculine.

I have a website where we create online gardening course called Organic Life Guru. The majority of our instructors are men (Check out the bottom of the homepage to see what I mean) and the majority of our online gardening courses customers are women.

What's your take on this?

Can gardening be manly?

Tags: gardening, permaculture

Views: 1662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Manly is about a set of values, about caring and providing for your family, about leaning out to help people less fortunate than yourself, giving and not reflecting on what returns to you. If you do all of that you are a man who can hold his head high, and if you want to knit or do embroidery so be it! You are a man!

Gardening is a wonderful pastime, therapeutic and satisfying, I love to be outdoors with my hands in the earth, love the fruits of my labours whether they are useful or just beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone. I am not a religious man but I believe in God and I feel nearer to the creator in the garden than anywhere else.

Some of the most memorable times with our children when they were small are the times we spent in the garden together and the memories of the childhood delight when they grew plants from tiny seeds and saw them flower or got to eat them. the only parallell with that was taking them fishing and cooking the fish we had caught and eating them outdoors. We are lucky to have a garden, we use it every day 

I imagine there are some nancies who garden and some manly men who garden.

Therefore, the answer is doing gardening doesn't make one manly or non-manly.

Is Gardening Manly? it's growing plants ,nothing more . woman do it and so do men and kids. nothing more or less.

Stewardship is the most manly skill of all... You should see my yard... One look will tell you Mother Nature is my bitch:)

Itt's manly when you grow things to eat, like a farmer

Nothing like feeling the fresh tilled earth in your hands and watching the fruits of your labors grow almost daily.  Nothing like not having to go to the grocery store to buy fresh fruits and vegetables for your family.  Manliness=Creating and gardening is the creation of life.

RSS

Latest Activity

Michael J. K. replied to Scott L Ferrell's discussion Shirtless resolutions for 2014 in the group The Shirtless Man
"Joining George at the campfire shirtless on camping trip somewhere fun in the us or otherwise.   Hope this could happen.   So for now cyber campfire and we are all shirtless."
8 minutes ago
Patrick Smith replied to Chris Badgett's discussion Can I Get Your Opinion on Something ... Is Gardening Manly?
"Nothing like feeling the fresh tilled earth in your hands and watching the fruits of your labors grow almost daily.  Nothing like not having to go to the grocery store to buy fresh fruits and vegetables for your family.  Manliness=Creating…"
8 minutes ago
Aidan Campbell-Wilkins replied to Aidan Campbell-Wilkins's discussion Got my hair trimmed, need help on styling.
"Well that kind of sucks because I'm not even Asian haha."
14 minutes ago
Aidan Campbell-Wilkins replied to Aidan Campbell-Wilkins's discussion Got my hair trimmed, need help on styling.
"Thanks bud but I asked for advice on my hair, not on tucking my shirt in. Besides I always wear a plaid shirt over top any way."
15 minutes ago
Don Judd replied to Alex Romo's discussion What's your manly hobby?
"Fantasy Football, fishing, camping, deer hunting, pretending I can fix the old plumbing in my house before finally giving up and calling a plumber. That last one might not be a "hobby" but it does occupy a lot of my time."
15 minutes ago
Don Judd posted a discussion

Selecting a belt?

A little background...I am not normally a decent dresser. I've been a jeans and t-shirt guy most of my life, and have only recently started wearing dress shirt, slacks, and ties to work as our new CEO has different expectations of his management team.In fact, the shoes I am wearing right now are the first shoes I have ever paid more than $25 for in my life.So, I don't have a lot of experience in selecting a good wardrobe. I am also not a wealthy man and have to shop for deals. A lot of my…See More
21 minutes ago
Profile IconRaymond Feliciano, ted parrack, Steven Higgins and 9 more joined Art of Manliness
38 minutes ago
Craig Carpenter II replied to Alex Romo's discussion What's your manly hobby?
"Paintball, carpentry, exercise, parkour, and learning new skills"
42 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service