Can I Get Your Opinion on Something ... Is Gardening Manly?

I was thinking about gardening and how I think it would be better on so many levels if more men did it in today's world. It kind of seems like "gardening" is feminine and "farming" is masculine.

I have a website where we create online gardening course called Organic Life Guru. The majority of our instructors are men (Check out the bottom of the homepage to see what I mean) and the majority of our online gardening courses customers are women.

What's your take on this?

Can gardening be manly?

Tags: gardening, permaculture

Views: 1699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Manly is about a set of values, about caring and providing for your family, about leaning out to help people less fortunate than yourself, giving and not reflecting on what returns to you. If you do all of that you are a man who can hold his head high, and if you want to knit or do embroidery so be it! You are a man!

Gardening is a wonderful pastime, therapeutic and satisfying, I love to be outdoors with my hands in the earth, love the fruits of my labours whether they are useful or just beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone. I am not a religious man but I believe in God and I feel nearer to the creator in the garden than anywhere else.

Some of the most memorable times with our children when they were small are the times we spent in the garden together and the memories of the childhood delight when they grew plants from tiny seeds and saw them flower or got to eat them. the only parallell with that was taking them fishing and cooking the fish we had caught and eating them outdoors. We are lucky to have a garden, we use it every day 

I imagine there are some nancies who garden and some manly men who garden.

Therefore, the answer is doing gardening doesn't make one manly or non-manly.

Is Gardening Manly? it's growing plants ,nothing more . woman do it and so do men and kids. nothing more or less.

Stewardship is the most manly skill of all... You should see my yard... One look will tell you Mother Nature is my bitch:)

Itt's manly when you grow things to eat, like a farmer

Nothing like feeling the fresh tilled earth in your hands and watching the fruits of your labors grow almost daily.  Nothing like not having to go to the grocery store to buy fresh fruits and vegetables for your family.  Manliness=Creating and gardening is the creation of life.

RSS

Latest Activity

Rick Shelton replied to Paul's discussion Tattoo Idea's (outdoor/farm theme)
"Amean!"
17 minutes ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Tom Ellis's discussion Girlfriends lies and temper
"Tom, I know how you're feeling man, I do. I actually had a post up in this sub-forum, but took it down due to reasons I won't discuss. But I know how it feels to feel like you've found that one girl you want to spend your life with.…"
19 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Tom Ellis's discussion Girlfriends lies and temper
"Its clear she's not marriage material at this point.  She's volatile.  She's untrustworthy.  Not a good combination.  So, you have two options -- you can rip off the bandaid quickly, or slowly.  Barring a…"
30 minutes ago
Tom Ellis replied to Tom Ellis's discussion Girlfriends lies and temper
"Yeah I read the replies on the original thread too. The advice seems pretty clear. Ok, so with that said, I have to ask, and get a little sentimental for a moment, and perhaps sound a little sensitive. How the F do I make the conscious decision to…"
44 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Paul's discussion Tattoo Idea's (outdoor/farm theme)
"If you get words tattooed on you, be sure to bring a grammar-minded friend."
49 minutes ago
Ryan James replied to Luke Brown's discussion Good Morning Gentlemen
"I'm impressed, that's a great thing you did on the Pine Ridge Res. Be proud brother. As for the WalMart reference, naw..I got you...I am quite jealous indeed. ;-)"
50 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Paul's discussion Tattoo Idea's (outdoor/farm theme)
58 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Tom Ellis's discussion Girlfriends lies and temper
""Except for two things. She lies relentlessly. And she has a short fuse and a reluctance to ever accept responsibility for things." Don't need to read the rest of the post. Deal breakers. Get out. "
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service