No, I'm not asking how to become Batman.

I saw an odd, if interesting, story in the Arizon State Press (I think it is the Arizona State University paper) about a 20-year-old kid's quest to "become Batman".

http://www.statepress.com/2011/08/22/becoming-batman/

I'm not entirely sure if this kid deserves admiration ... or a straight jacket.  To summarize -- a kid who was abused by his father and brother, and whose mother died of cancer, bought "The Batman Handbook" at age 14 ... and decided that he would work become Batman (or "like Batman").  That was six years ago.  In the ensuing time, he got two black belts in Tai Chi and Kempbo, did up to 12-hours a day of martial arts training, graduated high school two years early (age 16), and is, at age 20, studying for a degree in "justice studies" for an unknown career.

An excerpt from the article ... starting with his reaction to his mother's illness ...

--------------

[...] “Batman could handle the situation easily, he would just. . . he would be Batman!” Blumenshine says. “He would be controlled, he would be calm, he would think his way through it, he would think of what he would need to do, he would take care of his mom, he would take care of his brother — he would get stuff done.”

From this moment, Blumenshine was Batman. He started thinking like Batman, he told people to call him Batman, and if Batman would do something he would try to do the same, he says.

He reused survival skills he had learned in defense against his brother’s abuse and harvested his fighting skills from his father who, despite the abuse, taught Blumenshine how to throw knives into a human-shaped target and how to walk without making noise at a young age.

And his mother taught him compassion; her career as a therapist engendered in her son a belief of rightness and goodness in the world.

“When I see something wrong, I focus in on it and I use it to drive me,” Blumenshine says. “And I use it to create passion for myself so that I can become a better person and try to change it.”

And so the training began. Blumenshine would train when he woke up in the morning and before school, then during martial arts classes at school, during lunch, at the martial arts dojo after school, and finally for two or three hours after work. This schedule added up to sometimes 12 hours of martial arts training daily, particularly in the summer. [...]

-----------

Sounds like a good kid who's trying to find a way to be a better man.  His methodology is certainly interesting, and his obsession with Batman a bit odd.  Certainly needs to work on the "secret identity" part.  Like I said, admiration or a straight jacket? 

[Here's a link to The Batman Handbook, for any confused Dark Knights out there ...(http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Handbook-Ultimate-Training-Manual/dp/1...)].

JB

Views: 1577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mostly admiration.

How many other guys that age work that hard on bettering themselves? He seems way ahead of the game.

But I hope he outgrows the superhero worship and channels his aspirations to something productive, otherwise he may end up a publicity-craving oddity like Underdog Woman:

How about Assman?

hey he puts on some more muscle and becomes a playboy billionaire he can totally be ass man.

Have the previous posters considered the (published elsewhere) thought that Batman and his various criminal nemesi (sp?) are all nut cases? (This would also explain Mr. Bale's portrayals, as he has a career history of protraying whack jobs.)

Having perused the linked article, the fellow reminds me of a number of collegiate "Criminal Justice" students I shared a dorm floor with back in the day.  Mr. Blumenshine merely carries some of those fellows' noted behaviors to a slightly more extreme level.

I speak only of a few well-known eccentrics at my alma mater.  I will not name names, but there were a couple of fellows majoring in "Criminal Justice", as it was called back then, who were renowned for their particular martial enthusiasms and personal eccentricities. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Richard Schwier replied to 2risewhenfallen's discussion Does the universe have powers?
"You're in deep, dude. And it's not all that unusual, I'm guessing.  I don't have a lot to offer beyond "don't quit", but here's the thing:  I do think you can pray or at least centre yourself.…"
1 hour ago
J. D. replied to 2risewhenfallen's discussion Between Revolution and Apathy in the group The Great Debate
"If only political matters were unimportant enough to be ignored, and we could just go about our lives without the actions of the politicians impacting us in any real way.  But, that is a pipe dream.  What politicians and leaders do matters…"
1 hour ago
2risewhenfallen posted a discussion

Does the universe have powers?

The definition of universe of course is open to your interpretation; could be your god, the physical universe, or maybe just your immediate environment/sphere of influence. I'm 27 and nearly 2 years into my career. I'm not happy. In fact I think I'm starting to loose my mind. A windlowless basement, unreliable car, no friends, no relatives around, and no woman isn't helping. I'm in no less financial debt than I was before I took this job. I'm no healthier. I've been called dumb too many times…See More
2 hours ago
2risewhenfallen replied to 2risewhenfallen's discussion Between Revolution and Apathy in the group The Great Debate
"And the title was taken from a lyric from the band If Hope Dies. Hope that's not plagerism. That would suck for me. "
2 hours ago
2risewhenfallen added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Between Revolution and Apathy

Any opinions on whether a man should just not give a seconds thought about todays politics?In my opinion, politics are for the privileged, educated people. My mother and father don't have the luxury of politics. And neither do I. When I wake up and come home from work I'm trying to make myself better. That last thing on my mind is poll numbers.Instead of people taking hard-lines on politics can't they just step back and work hard and be good honest people with integrity?An example would be my…See More
2 hours ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion General Election 2016 in the group The Great Debate
"You should have watched the protest rallies instead."
2 hours ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion General Election 2016 in the group The Great Debate
"I noticed a lot of channeling of Cruz, Kasich, and Rubio."
2 hours ago
2risewhenfallen joined Herb Munson's group
Thumbnail

The Great Debate

"Iron sharpens iron." A place for men to impact each other by debate and exchange of ideas. This is a group where no ideas are off limits. If your motto is, "I never talk about politics or religion," this group is probably not for you. A "gym" for thinkers.See More
2 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service