No, I'm not asking how to become Batman.

I saw an odd, if interesting, story in the Arizon State Press (I think it is the Arizona State University paper) about a 20-year-old kid's quest to "become Batman".

http://www.statepress.com/2011/08/22/becoming-batman/

I'm not entirely sure if this kid deserves admiration ... or a straight jacket.  To summarize -- a kid who was abused by his father and brother, and whose mother died of cancer, bought "The Batman Handbook" at age 14 ... and decided that he would work become Batman (or "like Batman").  That was six years ago.  In the ensuing time, he got two black belts in Tai Chi and Kempbo, did up to 12-hours a day of martial arts training, graduated high school two years early (age 16), and is, at age 20, studying for a degree in "justice studies" for an unknown career.

An excerpt from the article ... starting with his reaction to his mother's illness ...

--------------

[...] “Batman could handle the situation easily, he would just. . . he would be Batman!” Blumenshine says. “He would be controlled, he would be calm, he would think his way through it, he would think of what he would need to do, he would take care of his mom, he would take care of his brother — he would get stuff done.”

From this moment, Blumenshine was Batman. He started thinking like Batman, he told people to call him Batman, and if Batman would do something he would try to do the same, he says.

He reused survival skills he had learned in defense against his brother’s abuse and harvested his fighting skills from his father who, despite the abuse, taught Blumenshine how to throw knives into a human-shaped target and how to walk without making noise at a young age.

And his mother taught him compassion; her career as a therapist engendered in her son a belief of rightness and goodness in the world.

“When I see something wrong, I focus in on it and I use it to drive me,” Blumenshine says. “And I use it to create passion for myself so that I can become a better person and try to change it.”

And so the training began. Blumenshine would train when he woke up in the morning and before school, then during martial arts classes at school, during lunch, at the martial arts dojo after school, and finally for two or three hours after work. This schedule added up to sometimes 12 hours of martial arts training daily, particularly in the summer. [...]

-----------

Sounds like a good kid who's trying to find a way to be a better man.  His methodology is certainly interesting, and his obsession with Batman a bit odd.  Certainly needs to work on the "secret identity" part.  Like I said, admiration or a straight jacket? 

[Here's a link to The Batman Handbook, for any confused Dark Knights out there ...(http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Handbook-Ultimate-Training-Manual/dp/1...)].

JB

Tags: Batman

Views: 1316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mostly admiration.

How many other guys that age work that hard on bettering themselves? He seems way ahead of the game.

But I hope he outgrows the superhero worship and channels his aspirations to something productive, otherwise he may end up a publicity-craving oddity like Underdog Woman:

Should have been Iron Man instead. Batman is stupid.

How about Assman?

I withdraw my previous statement. He should have been Assman.

hey he puts on some more muscle and becomes a playboy billionaire he can totally be ass man.

Have the previous posters considered the (published elsewhere) thought that Batman and his various criminal nemesi (sp?) are all nut cases? (This would also explain Mr. Bale's portrayals, as he has a career history of protraying whack jobs.)

Having perused the linked article, the fellow reminds me of a number of collegiate "Criminal Justice" students I shared a dorm floor with back in the day.  Mr. Blumenshine merely carries some of those fellows' noted behaviors to a slightly more extreme level.

I speak only of a few well-known eccentrics at my alma mater.  I will not name names, but there were a couple of fellows majoring in "Criminal Justice", as it was called back then, who were renowned for their particular martial enthusiasms and personal eccentricities. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Ian Wilson's discussion So what is the point of all this? in the group Out to Build Bridges
"Like I said, if mentions out-of-the-blue are an indicator of over-thinking ... you bring up my name far more often than I mention homosexuality. I don't recall saying that.  If I did, I'd be more likely to say…"
8 minutes ago
Teefs S. replied to Mike Bernstein's discussion Can a leather jacket be altered this way?
"Re-tailored clothes have never brought me much satisfaction.. Never quite right.  Buynew."
18 minutes ago
Scott J left a comment for Thomas Unga
"Glad to see you in the group Scott Taylorsville"
21 minutes ago
Teefs S. replied to Tim's discussion Male vanity.
"I have found that mirrors - whether in the bathroom, bedroom or gym -  can be very motivating."
25 minutes ago
Emerson updated their profile
37 minutes ago
Emerson replied to Vince's discussion college:problem with procrastination
"It's a vicious cycle. You're facing burnout so rather than accomplish your objectives you procrastinate and bankrupt your focus with Facebook, twitter, Skype, etc. As a result, you start to feel guilty and even lose confidence in yourself…"
40 minutes ago
Will replied to Vince's discussion college:problem with procrastination
"You and my college advisees on probation.  The only difference is that you're doing FB/Twitter/Skype instead of Call of Duty. Today, I suggest you a) post on your wall on FB that you will be going off FB for a month at least, and invite…"
41 minutes ago
Philip Funderburk replied to Raul Duron Jr.'s discussion How can I improve my leadership abilities?
"^Truth.  T.R. is a terrific life for all to study."
56 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service