Hey guys,

The house I bought has 5 or 6 Energey EAS-6C speakers and 1 Yamaha NS-IW360C speaker integrated into the ceilings of various rooms. All the speaker cables peek out at one particular spot where I can connect an amp / receiver. 

My in-laws lent me an old Technics amp / receiver but it didn't have enough space for all the speaker wires. Even when I tried it with just a few speakers plugged in, the sound faded in and out and was often fuzzy. The speakers are brand new and have otherwise never been used so I suspect that the amp / receiver is just busted. (The amp is probably 30-40 years old.)

So what I'd like to know is what kind of amp / receiver do I need to make this work? I don't want anything fancy and, in all likeliness, the only thing we'll ever connect to the receiver is our cellphones or laptops to stream music.

Since that's the case, can you make some recommendations? Or at least give me an idea of what kind of specs or features I can look for?

Thanks!

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like it's set up for either a 5.1 or 7.1 system (surround sound - 5.1 is most common). So I would be looking for a specific A/V receiver to do that. Budget options I recommend would come from Yamaha and Denon. Next tier up is NAD then Marantz. 

Tl;dr: Any reciver that supports 5 or 6 speakers at 8ohm should be ok.

Btw, Yamaha recalled that speaker: http://usa.yamaha.com/support/warranty/audio_visual/safety_recall/n...

Do you have any idea how are speakers connected? I'm asking because if you have 4ohm stable reciver you can connect two speakers in parallel, so they play louder. Also you could connect more speakers to same output if you combine speakers with parallel and/or series.

Also that yamaha speaker is 6ohm, and EAS are 8ohm, this could be a bit of a problem. Yamaha should play louder than the rest because of this and could result in short and/or overheating if reciver has problems with lower than 8ohm.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Smith replied to Jim Kart's discussion Newbie from Fl.
"Welcome!"
40 minutes ago
Andrew Newitt replied to Andy Lawson's discussion Suggestions at the Gym
"So much great advice already - let me just add my two cents as well. Change your diet - don't diet. The important thing is to change your mindset, not to starve yourself or deprive yourself of what you love. If you eat right 80% of the time,…"
1 hour ago
Jim Kart posted a discussion

Newbie from Fl.

Hello people. My name is Jim Kart and I'm just new here in the forums.Hope I'm pretty much welcome here.See More
5 hours ago
Ameretta replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Thank you so much!"
6 hours ago
Poe Dameron left a comment for Don Clavens
"Greetings, I'm shirtless 24 hours a day"
7 hours ago
Troy updated their profile
10 hours ago
Troy replied to Joshua's discussion Feeling a bit bogged down
"This has likely been said as I haven't read every single reply. For housework it just is man. It sucks. Not a TON you can do to make it go quicker. Maybe just try to do a little something every day? (sweep or vaccuum one day, dust another,…"
10 hours ago
John Landes commented on Dennis Heins's group The Smoking Lounge
"I have recently discovered the Gurkha Cellar Reserve cigar.  Paired with a glass of Knob Creek with a bit of water, and it was quite enjoyable."
13 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service