Well, Iv thought pretty much for 2 years now and i honestly want to join the Army reserves or national guard. The only problem is with me being 17 and in high school its hard to convince my mom to let me enter the reserves now so i could start now and continue up through college so i can come out an officer. I've told her this and my dad for the past few months hoping that it would work in convincing them but its just poop, there really adamant about be not entering, ill be 18 soon this Dec. and i can enter with out consent but I really don't want to have bad blood going on with them. Can someone give  e any advise on the matter?

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you're gonna go enlisted, you will stay enlisted until the end of your contract. That's just way too roundabout of a way, when you could just join ROTC, still go to the field, still do all the super hooah army stuff, and get commissioned at the end of your four years. ROTC isnt just an extracurricular activity, its an actual contract with the army.

If you do decide to go enlisted and then ROTC, I must caution you on one thing. If you go to ROTC as an enlisted member who has combat experience, a deployment or even basic training under your belt you may hate ROTC. You will be surrounded by people that you know will make terrible leaders yet you have to answer to them. Maybe that was just my experience, who knows. In regards to your parents, ultimately it is your decision. They can take comfort in the fact that the GWOT is winding down and a deployment is looking less likely for new recruits. The best advice I can give you is DO NOT GET ANY TATTOOS below your elbows, below your knees or bigger then your open hand. The regs just changed to be much more strict on tattoos. While enlisted members are grandfathered, enlisted members trying to become officers are not. 

Alright i'll do that then, it seems like SMP might help me a little bit more at least. and thanks about the Warning on the Tattoo regulations, helps out a lot if i ever decide to get tattoos.

As Stephen said going ROTC is the best route. All branches of the military have "programs" to cross over to officer but they are piss poor at best. out of about 20 people That I have seen try over the years only 2 crossed over to the academy. Chances are if you go enlisted that you will be in a mos that does not allow you the time to do all of the schooling/programs that will be required. Going officer is also a 6 year minimum enlistment as well after you finish school.

Your parents will always love you no matter what. They don't want you to grow up too fast. When they see you have thought this out and stuck to your guns they can't help but be proud of you for finishing something very hard and serving your country.

Try selling your parents on this instead: http://www.nc082.com/  Speak with their "DCC" about how this can help you with rank, scholarships, and beef up your resume.  CAP takes a LOT more self motivation but it can be a great help later no matter which path you decide to pursue in the military. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Augustin replied to Robert's discussion The new kid in class.
"Welcome aboard, Robert!"
41 minutes ago
Augustin replied to Tim's discussion Male vanity.
"I look in the mirror when I use free weights if I'm in doubt about my form. "
43 minutes ago
Curtis replied to Tim's discussion Male vanity.
"Firstly, if they're in the gym - they're not giving up any meals for SUPPLEMENTS and shakes.  The clue is in the name... Everyone, to some extent, is vain these days.  It's particularly noticeable amongst my generation, now…"
1 hour ago
N. Vest replied to Nathanael's discussion Common-sense gun laws, what would they look like for you? in the group The Great Debate
"So a "carry" license? makes sense. You don't need a DL to own a car, just to drive it. I think the big thing here is it should be a "shall issue" license as in the state shall issue you one unless you give them a reason not…"
1 hour ago
Jay D replied to Nathanael's discussion Common-sense gun laws, what would they look like for you? in the group The Great Debate
"NSA scandal just to mention one"
2 hours ago
Chip replied to Kit's discussion Whats your hangover cure?
"It never made me vomit. I have found it settles my stomach."
4 hours ago
Steve Dallas replied to John Moser's discussion Having discovered why The Odyssey is so poorly written, I now know of a new skill we must recover!
"You over romantize your view of history, story telling and memory"
5 hours ago
Robert posted a discussion

The new kid in class.

Good evening everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Robert. Living in Temecula, CA. Been a long time lurker of AoM and decided to join. Seems like a great community of people with a lot of knowledge to take in and maybe find some new hobbies to get my mitts on.Looking forward to reading and joining the discussions.See More
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service