I am working on losing weight and improving my nutrition and have come across a lot of research on the health benefits of plant based diets. I watched the documentary Forks Over Knives, read a book called How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger, and have read a lot of other articles and watched a lot of videos highlighting the work of Dr. John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, Colin Campbell, Dean Ornish, etc.

From what the research I have read suggests it seems like this is by FAR the healthiest diet someone can live. Has anyone else tried this or are they familiar with the research around plant-based diets?

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You took a book titled "How Not to Die" seriously?

Its a book about how plant based diets prevent, treat, and in some cases reverse all of the top causes of death in the United States.  https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Die-Discover-Scientifically/dp/12500...

"plant based diets prevent, treat, and in some cases reverse all of the top causes of death in the United States"

Many many citations needed.

Hence me linking to the book where the data can be found.

"plant based diets prevent, treat, and in some cases reverse all of the top causes of death in the United States***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************"

Last I checked, the mortality rate is still 100%. Sensationalism aside, I tried it for about six months. I felt like shit the entire time. Even worse than when I didn't eat at all for an entire month. YMMV.

Are you still living off supplements six days a week or has that passed?

I was done with that on Easter.

Have you gained any of the weight back? And did you get your blood checked?

I lost about 20. Ten in the first three days. Gained back 5~8. Never got my blood checked.

Should have gone to a blood bank and they'd do it for free. Would be interesting to see your cholesterol when you're not really eating meals. So what made you quit?

It was done. Starvation diets and bulking diets shouldn't be done for more than six weeks at a time because you can permanently alter your metabolism.

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"All I do know, is that the motivations of government are often very different then the motivations of the common man. And very different from the what the propagandists would have you believe."
52 minutes ago
derick bean posted a status
1 hour ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"I don't want this to descend into a debate about the civil war. All I'm saying is I don't know what the common soldier was fighting for/thought they were fighting for, or what their family thought they were fighting for. In an age…"
1 hour ago
Shane replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"His history is extremely one sided. He completely ignores the fact that 4.5 slave states remained in the Union, 4.5 left the Union only after the attack on Fort Sumter, the same economic warfare England had used on the American colonies the North…"
2 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"I think the thing about when neo-confederates pull out the "ordinary soldier didn't fight for slavery" argument is that few, if any, ever cite actual soldiers' words in support of this argument. Surely there are CSA soldier…"
2 hours ago
Paul H replied to Peter O'Reilly's discussion Fasting and Intermittant Fasting
"Worth checking out Dr Rhonda Patricks episodes on The Joe Rogan Experience too. She talks about this on some of them."
2 hours ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"You could be right. We just don't know what these folks were told when they were being recruited. Some may have been told, yes, this war is about slavery, but it's also about...Personally I think all this, is good for our country.…"
2 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Even if a monument "commemorates those that gave their lives", it is commemorating those that gave their lives in the service of a political regime whose primary goal was enslavement of blacks, regardless of how those individual soldiers…"
2 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service