I ran across this website a while ago, WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms).

Basically, you work a half day (usually around 4 hours) in trade for a night of lodging and meals.  Along with working, you learn their practices in sustainable farming and gardening. Doing a quick search yielded me 92 farms in Washington state alone.

Sounds like a pretty damn good deal to me.  I've done some searching around and it looks like there are some people who have traveled all over places like Ireland going from farm to farm.  Others say its bullshit.  I'm guessing it matters which farm you are at.

Just curious if anyone here has heard of or belonged to this organization.  Its $30 for the membership, which isn't much I guess if it works the way they say it does.

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess that's cool if you want to be all commercial like. Sounds like it's got a hint of hippie in it, but whatev. You could find a real farmer or Google most of the stuff they have to tell you. Farming is modernizing, but there aren't any real "secrets" out there.

How is this 'commerical'? The priority for me wouldn't be to learn 'stuff' I could look up in a book or the internet.  The real draw is free room and board, in exchange for some honest work.

Hang out in any "Tractor Supply" and you could probably hook up a similar deal.  But, this seems like a neat way to facilitate the process.  It's an interesting business model.

Is it your intention to participate in one of these programs?  Good luck!

Sure, I thought I might check it out.  A few days on a farm in Washington or Idaho to start sounds like a fun, cheap adventure.  Trust me, I'm not thinking about joining a commune and living there long term.

Hey man!

Im living in Europe and i must say we have lots of these farms, we even have entire eco-villages that are completely self-suffcient. and most of them are free with just requirements of having to do work on the grounds or other tasks. I know of a specific one in Holland and they have connection with other communities all over europe that go from simply picking apples to running water and electricity for villages, i would definately reccomend it as a way of travelling and getting to know people and like Paul said they are very hippie based, some dont accept people if they arent vegetarians. But definately do your research on the farm before trying to get in as ive heard a few hardship stories from there, Best of luck with it, A

Interesting!  I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but do think that the traveling and getting to know people aspect of it is particularly attractive to me.

Ya id definately reccomend it if you were looking for a way to inter rail in Europe

Sounds a bit hippy-commune to me.

A hippy commune doesn't sound too bad.

I'd be more worried about cults.

^ What he said. 

If you see a bunch of girls in full-length prairie dresses and French braids and hear talk of a "covenant ceremony", you may want to make yourself scarce.

Such a place exists...?

Sounds like a dream come true...!

Sounds interesting to me.  If you do it, please be sure to tell us how it went!

RSS

Latest Activity

Charles Indelicato commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"I'm about 2 weeks away from turning 50, might as well join the group now and avoid the rush."
58 seconds ago
Profile IconCharles Indelicato and Ed Deerly joined thehuhman's group
Thumbnail

Men Over 50

For the slightly older guys. (those who've already received the letter from AARP!) Let's just see how many of us are proud to have made it this far!See More
2 minutes ago
Edward Warden commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"Elon, thanks.  I used the book 7 Weeks to 100 Pushups to reach that goal.  I should have started earlier, however, because it took me much, much longer to get there. "
26 minutes ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Will's discussion The red pill
""where did [he] say that? instead of being a troll, how about posting something intelligent?""
48 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Nick F's discussion Is sexual trolling a thing here? in the group Christian Men
"Heh, I'd forgotten about that one."
1 hour ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"Sucks when you can't delete a discussion once you start getting your ass handed to you, huh?"
1 hour ago
Lucas Fialho replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"The most of brazilians sites who explore the manliness values sustain this same point of view. To me its really sad to see someone behaving like that. Most people who see world like this think the only womans who behave like a 50s movie house wife…"
1 hour ago
Carl Monster commented on Will's group New Warriors
"Our men's group is sputtering out. They have tried to get more to come, but men in this area seem to be too guarded and practical to be into this sort of thing. The experience has been a gift and I will remember it fondly."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service