Part of my joining this forum was to become a better by solving my problems and honing skills than make a man. I made a list of goals the other day and I intend to meet each one and the associated deadline. I decided to make a forum post versus a blog post as extra motivation via the threat of public failure. Tomorrow after work I'll post measures I've taken to meet each goal and initial results for applicable goals.

2011 Goal List

Psychological:

• Stop making excuses. Things have been bad  and yeah, you have to work full time to make your way through a Chemical Engineering Degree, but you have a sphere of influence on your success.

Academia:

• Get Accepted to True CH. Egr program
  • Earn a 3.5 GPA this semester even after attendance policies for Spring 2012 Semester
  • Get an apartment closer to university by Sept. 1

Finance:

• Get out of Debt by Feb. 1
  • Save $1000.00 by Feb. 1
  • Start Investing $25.00 per month via Sharebuilder or Equivalent by Feb. 1
  • Save $1500.00 by Mar. 1
  • Save $2000.00 by April 1
  • Save $2500.00 by May 1
  • Save $3000.00 by June 1
  • Save $3500.00 by  July 1
  • Save $4000.00 by Aug. 1
  • Save $4500.00 by Sept. 1
  • Save $5000.00 by Oct. 1
  • Save $5500.00 by Nov. 1
  • Save $6000.00 by Dec. 1

Career:

• Maintain employment at FedEx and secure transfer to a facility closer to university.
  • Volunteer at least one Saturday a Month to working alongside an Industrial Engineer to fill internship void.
  • Continue to acquire in-house company Industrial engineering certifications.
  • Begin networking.

Physical:

• Complete 100 consecutive Push-ups
  • Complete 25 consecutive Pull-ups
  • Complete 200 consecutive Crunches
  •  Run 3 miles in 18 minutes flat

Adventure:

• Hike part of Fall Creek Falls.
  • Map trails in local natural area.
  • Take up rock climbing
  • Refine land nav skills.

New Skills:

• Learn Basic Dutch through livemocha.
  • Finish up the coding on my portfolio website.

Relationships:

• Start Dating Again once some goals are met.

It seems like a good list for me. I noted most of my goals are financial. I've never really had a strong financial base and have some difficulty getting and maintaining a strong one footing the bills myself for living, insurance, university, car, etc. I'm going to change that. I also need to start building some credit.

My GPA isn't awesome. 2.1 Cumulative. I'm changing that this year also and disregarding those that say a 2.1 is great considering my circumstances. It's a bunch of bull and I was almost okay lying to myself. This GPA prevents me from being eligible for engineering internships. My solution is to aquire as many FedEx inhouse Industrial engineering certifications and volunteer every other saturday working beside an industrial engineer to fill the void left by the lack of an internship.

Relationship wise, I had a major falling out with my former signifigant. Lots of meaningless sex and questionable women from the clubs and bar (still high fiving myself for no STD) and I figure I had better start trying to build something than be a playboy.

I haven't got to run through the woods in a very long time. I'm taking a week vacation and hitting Fall Creek Falls solo camping. I'm also going to map some trails that the USGS hasn't mapped in another forestry area with my Survey GPS. If I don't get atleast 4 hours in the woods or on the river a month, I start having withdrawls. This fills my adventure goals for this year.

All of my physical goals are just to get back to my old self. I've maybe listend to the doc a little too much when he said go easy and build up again. I've done nothing but baby the injury and cut most physical training out. Time to stop making excuses.

Career wise I need to secure a transfer to a different facility by Sept. 1. I also need to learn how to network. All of the jobs I've gotten have been where I've walked up and said, "I need a job, what do you have?" My Current Job (and maybe career) at FedEx had a pretty funny start. My senior manager asked me in the interview why I wanted to work for FedEx and I said "Sir, I'm hungry". He laughed a bit and I've worked my way up through the ranks. I'm thankful for what he has done to aid my development in the company. 

Down to getting things done:

I have 23 days to complete the following tasks listed in order of priority:

Once I'm out of debt, I can start applying to different apartments early to get a jump on students who will wait until the summer, hence why it got priority #1- It affects more things. Getting one stack in the bank is #2 to build up a short term base. Starting to Invest is #3 to begin developing a long term financial security.

Views: 774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great list. Curious though how much debt are you in that you are able to get out of it in one month?

About a grand now.  

Well done, not bad at all. I wish I would have only had a grand of debt when I was in school.

Here's the kicker, I get zero financial aid due to not being able to come up with the paperwork required, so it's debt that's not needed or even a neccessary barter.

Ditto on the 2012 date check, Word <insert year> is never a good idea.

Suggestion for improvmentCheck the date... Its 2012... lol... great list though...

Great goal list and good for you!  

+1

hope you achieve as much as you can!

2012 Goal List

Psychological:

• Stop making excuses. Things have been bad  and yeah, you have to work full time to make your way through a Chemical Engineering Degree, but you have a sphere of influence on your success.

Academia:

• Earn a 3.5 GPA this semester even after attendance policies for Spring 2012 Semester

Finance:

• Save $2500.00 by May 1

Career:

• Maintain employment at FedEx and secure transfer to a facility closer to university.
  • Volunteer at least one Saturday a Month to working alongside an Industrial Engineer to fill internship void.
  • Begin networking.

Physical:

• Run 3 miles in 18 minutes flat

Adventure:

• Take up rock climbing

New Skills:

Relationships:

• Start Dating Again once some goals are met

My objectives are being met, but I failed miserably at starting to invest due to my own laziness. I'm fixing that this weekend.

Right now I need to learn how to network. It's an entirely diffeent game in the office than it is out in the field and like I said early, I'm 20 and don't have a clue.

Hey Alex, check to see if your local city has an HR Association.  You can find out via SHRM.  It's a yearly memberhsip and usually they have a very reasonable rate for students. Then you will get invites to various networking events.  Even consider taking a professional development class, usually those are 1 day or a few hours.  It might cost something minimal.  Thinking of it as investing in yourself.  You paying for experience, not things.  Once you find like minded people, you'll begin to build your network.  Get on LinkedIn as well.  Hope this helps.  Also, I'm an avid reader..you must read How To Win Friends from Dale Carnegie.

2012 Goal List

Psychological:

• Stop making excuses. Things have been bad  and yeah, you have to work full time to make your way through a Chemical Engineering Degree, but you have a sphere of influence on your success.

Academia:

• Earn a 3.5 GPA this semester even after attendance policies for Spring 2012 Semester

Finance:

• Save $2500.00 by May 1

Career:

• Begin networking.

Physical:

• Run 3 miles in 18 minutes flat

Adventure:

• Take up rock climbing

New Skills:

Relationships:

Start Dating Again once some goals are met

I met my goal of getting two grand in my reserve. I also hit the unlisted requirement of having enough cash to pay for Fall 2012 since FASFA hates me.

Network wise I linked up with some industrial engineers at FedEx and we're working on getting me permission to shadow one every other Saturday.

Relationships are still strained, but I did start dating again. It's entertaining because I come across as much older and thus attract women who have major daddy issues or crazies. A lady friend of mine wants to give me a make over and axe the beard, but she doesn't understand what red hot coolant or slag hitting your face feels like. I

It's entertaining because I come across as much older and thus attract women who have major daddy issues or crazies

Simple way around that... Date older women. Crazy bitches are fun... until they aren't.

Well my Financial and physical goals went to shit. I ended up falling off a mountain and 2k of my savings got wiped by the medical bills. I also tore my left ACL and broke a metatarsal, so I'm moving around on crutches at the moment. FedEx was cool about it and put me on admin duty while I heal up. Things like this are the exact reason I wanted to put that much money away so quickily. When you're a college kid working full time, going to school full time, and getting by on the skin of your teeth, bad things tend to happen.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion Break-up or not
"Yeah, that's why I added the "if it's true".  She admitted to cheating on past boyfriends ... so she had it in her before... JB"
5 minutes ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion Break-up or not
"But I do live my life via smartphone. Neither my laptop or tablet have even been turned on in a month. That's one of the advantages to smartphones.... you get a full keyboard."
7 minutes ago
Will replied to Paul_of_TX's discussion 2014 Midterm Elections in the group The Great Debate
"They're expected to take the Senate, but by a hair.  Without a supermajority in both Houses, they won't be able to pass anything Obama dislikes, and he will dislike anything that would slow the rush to bankruptcy, prevent massive vote…"
10 minutes ago
Josh Allen replied to Will Whitson's discussion Bloggers, how do you promote your site?
10 minutes ago
Will replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion Break-up or not
"I still don't know that gf cheated.  Or that she didn't.  We have hearsay so far. If she cheated, you can be thankful you found out before you married her. If she didn't, you need a new set of friends."
15 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion Break-up or not
""Hit the road, Jack, and don't look back.""
18 minutes ago
David K. replied to James Sullivan's discussion Strange sexual dreams?
"Well, that rules out shrooms and the ghost pepper"
20 minutes ago
Wasatch replied to Will Whitson's discussion Bloggers, how do you promote your site?
"Blogs are like coffee kiosks. There's only a few quality ones that are worth visiting more than once.  "
21 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service